Printer Friendly

Megan wins award for her brave battle.

Byline: By Ben Guy

A youngster who is battling a brain tumour will have her courage recognised with a prestigious award.

Megan Armstrong, seven, will receive the award from the Brave Heart charity later this month at a ceremony at St James's Park, Newcastle.

And, even more importantly a scan on Megan's brain on Friday, showed no new growth in the tumour, meaning the cancer has now been inactive for two years.

Megan received news of her award, which is given to children who have shown courage battling illness or adversity, in a letter from the charity last week.

Last year, Josie Grove, 16, of Corbridge, who died in February after refusing further leukaemia treatment, was a recipient.

Megan's father Philip, of Appletree Drive, Prudhoe, said: "I just think it is fantastic recognition for the quite remarkable level of bravery Megan has shown.

"It is great to get the recognition, but the main thing for Megan is the treats she will get for winning the award. Mum Sandra added: "It came out of the blue and we are over the moon.

"We have friends that have helped organise a few charity nights and they rang me to say they were putting her forward.

"We thought no more about it and then we got the letter through."

Youngsters who win the award are given a number of treats, and Mr Armstrong said his daughter was particularly pleased with the new computer console her award would bring.

Jim Knight, of the Hexham-based charity, said: "The whole point of Brave Hearts is to reward bravery in the face of illness and Megan has certainly shown that."

The ceremony is held twice a year, with the awards usually given out by a Newcastle United footballer.

The latest scan at Newcastle General Hospital showed that the tumour on Megan's brain has not changed in size. Mr Armstrong said it was fantastic news.

He said: "Obviously we are well chuffed. The consultant said he was just amazed and that she is a unique child.

"The consultants have been nearly falling off their chairs they are so amazed at Megan."

After her scan Megan underwent her latest dose of weekly chemotherapy ( a reminder of the battle she continues to face. Mr Armstrong said: "She has been on the course for two years now and there is only one other child in the world who has been on it so long.

"But we are just going to keep doing what we're doing and continue on with it as long as it is working."

Anyone who would like to donate to the appeal set up in Megan's name can call Philip on 07748 911908 or visit the website at www.meganappeal.com
COPYRIGHT 2007 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Journal (Newcastle, England)
Date:Jun 11, 2007
Words:453
Previous Article:Afghan blast soldier named.
Next Article:Motorcyclist injured.


Related Articles
Family told blaze toddler has brain damage.
Megan hit by a cruel blow.
One more victory in Megan's long fight; Scan findings show tumour has not grown.
One more victory in Megan's long fight.
Touching stories of courage.
It's good news for brave Megan.
Letter: The BIG issue - Touch of pride.
Brave Megan still defying the odds in cancer fight.
When Megan Fox thrilled navy men on battleship.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |