Printer Friendly

McSTAY HITS RED JACKPOT; IRISH CUP REPLAY: Portadown 1 Glentoran 1 (Ports win 4-3 on pens) Henry the hero at rain-soaked Shamrock Park.

Byline: Darren FULLERTON reports from Shamrock Park

HENRY McStay struck the jackpot for Portadown in last night's JJB Sports Irish Cup replay thanks to a penalty shootout and a rain-doused pitch at Shamrock Park.

Defender McStay struck the decisive spot-kick to send Ronnie McStay's men into the quarter-finals and a tie with Cliftonville at Solitude on March 3.

The teams couldn't be separated after extra-time and it was Portadown who held their nerve to win the shootout 4-3.

Gary Hamilton and Jason Hill had missed their spotkicks for Glentoran, while Allan Smart was also off target for the Ports.

Willo McDonagh, Kyle Neill and Tim McCann converted for the visitors while Peter Kennedy, Kevin Braniff and Marc McCann fired home for the Ports.

It left McStay with the task of firing low past Glens keeper Elliott Morris to win the tie and send the large Portadown support into raptures.

It was frenetic, enthralling fare served up on a muddy pitch, made all the more unpredictable because of lying water, the result of a downpour of rain in the first-half.

Dean Fitzgerald had given Glentoran a 26th minute lead with a rifled finish before substitute Smart equalised on the hour mark.

Portadown were dealt a blow in the 24th minute when skipper John Convery limped off.

And before the Ports had time to read adjust, Glentoran were ahead. Colin Nixon guided a ball into the feet of Hamilton and he laid off for Fitzgerald who fired home with aplomb.

Portadown's equaliser arrived in the 61st minute in bizarre circumstances.

Gary Smyth's routine pass to Morris stuck in lying water inside the area and Smart capitalised chipping in.

Ports keeper Kevin Pressman, who produced a wonderful save to deny Hamilton in the shootout, also saved twice from Hill with time running out.

The Glens were also claiming a penalty in the 90th minute when Collins collided with Hamilton, but referee David Malcom waved play on.

In added time Kennedy's freekick crashed back off the underside of the bar and hit Morris on the back before squirming away for a corner. But it would take penalties and McStay's cool head to win the tie.

PORTADOWN: Pressman, Craig, O'Hara, Convery (Clarke 24), McStay, McCann, Boyle (Smart 46), Collins, McCutcheon (Teggart 109), Braniff, Kennedy.

GLENTORAN: Morris, Nixon, Neill, Hill, Leeman, Smyth, Fitzgerald, Berry (McDonagh 73), Browne (Mc-Cann 65), Hamilton, Ward. Subs: Bowers.

REF: David Malcolm.


COMING THROUGH: Portadown goalscorer Allan Smart barges past Glentoran's Kyle Neill
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Feb 21, 2007
Next Article:Football: Celtic boss still has high Hoops; Champions League special CELTIC 0 AC MILAN 0.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |