Printer Friendly

Mating season for salmon -- salmon companies, that is.

Salmon swim upstream, driven by the urge to mate and spawn. It's the same with salmon producers. A three-way merger among Norwegian fishing groups is aimed at creating the second largest salmon farming operation in the world -- behind Dutch Nutreco of Holland.

Here's how it's going to work. Cermaq, which is 80% controlled by the Norwegian government, will own 60% of the new company. Fjord Seafood will pick up the remaining 40%. And Domstein, which has a 26% stake in Fjord, will become the largest private shareholder, receiving NOK 175 million ($20 million -- in additional Flord shares as well as NOK 200 million ($22.8 million) in cash. Fjord will also spawn new shares worth up to NOK 1 billion.

The companies predicted in a joint statement that the new enterprise would overtake PanFish to become the second largest farmed salmon producer in the world: "The new firm will have a 12% share of the global salmon farming market and a 40% share of the salmon feed market," they claimed.
COPYRIGHT 2002 E.W. Williams Publications, Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2002 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Domstein, Cermaq, and Fjord Seafood merger to create new company
Comment:Mating season for salmon -- salmon companies, that is.(Domstein, Cermaq, and Fjord Seafood merger to create new company)(Brief Article)(Statistical Data Included)
Publication:Quick Frozen Foods International
Article Type:Brief Article
Geographic Code:4EXNO
Date:Apr 1, 2002
Words:170
Previous Article:Norwegian seafood exports take dip, mainly in salmon.
Next Article:Buy the ships, get the quotas: Pescanova Argentine gambit.
Topics:


Related Articles
World salmon industry and woe: we've met before, haven't we? another bad sockeye season in Alaska, overproduction and slumping prices for Chile and...
European Seafood Alliance restructuring has pieters at center of group marketing.
As Fjord Seafood pushes pan-Europe drive, Pieters Group assumes helm in marketing. (Salmon And Surimi Updates).
Korea ripe for Alaska salmon: bad breaks for Asia open doors for Alaska to increase salmon sales there.
Alaska's seafood industry: evolving and advancing: Alaska exported 846,312 metric tons of seafood to countries around the world, accounting for $2.2...
Fjord Seafood buys a stake in government-run rival.
Wild and farmed salmon sellers go at it in lukewarm Japanese marketplace: Europe faces glut of Norwegian farmed salmon, and fights back with punitive...
Seafood transactions.
Alaska suspends informal salmon price-tracking.
Re-launch of salmon.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters