Masjid an-Nabawi, second holiest mosque.
MADINA -- The second largest mosque in the world, Al-Masjid an-Nabawi, is considered by Muslims to be the most sacred mosque after the Masid al-Haram in Mecca.
The foundation stone for this mosque was laid by Prophet Mohammad (PHUH) himself. After the migration to Medina, in 1 AH (After Hijra), Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) ordered the construction of the mosque. The prophet (PBUH) himself took part in the construction of the mosque.
The Gunbad Khizra (The Green Dome) is the most significant part of the mosque, as it houses the final resting place of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH), Hazrat Abu Bakar (RA), and Hazrat Umar (RA).
The structure of the dome was originally made of wood and painted white and blue. It was rebuilt and renovated various times. The current dome was built by Ottaman Sultan Mahmud II in 1818, and was first painted green in 1837, hence giving it the name, the Green Dome. Due to its sacred nature, a huge number of visitors are present at the Green Dome throughout the day.
Moreover, to protect the worshippers and visitors from the heat and sunlight, 182 large umbrellas are present at the mosque.
The mosque has the capacity for hundreds of thousands of worshippers at a time. A lot of Muslim rulers have worked on the expansion, renovation and decoration of the mosque. During the time of Shah Fahad bin Abdul Aziz, the whole city of Medina as it was during the Prophet's (PBUH) time was included into the mosque.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Balochistan Times (Baluchistan Province, Pakistan)|
|Date:||May 30, 2017|
|Previous Article:||Unfit Umar Akmal returns home.|
|Next Article:||Shahbaz directs to keep check on quality, prices of eatables in Ramazan bazaars.|