Martin: He just has to get Oba it.
Byline: IAN MITCHELMORE
RUSSELL MARTIN has urged Michael Obafemi to improve his off-the-field professionalism after leaving the striker out of Swansea City's squad for their Championship clash with Bournemouth.
Ireland striker Obafemi - who joined the Swans from Southampton on a permanent deal in the summer transfer window - was omitted from the matchday 18 as Swansea lost 4-0 to the Cherries at The Vitality Stadium. It means the forward, who played once for Ireland in the Nations League in 2018 under Martin O'Neill, has featured just seven times in all competitions so far this term.
Obafemi is not part of Stephen Kenny's Irish squad for the games against PORTUGAL and Luxembourg but Swans boss Martin says the 21-year-old will be given the club's full backing.
"Michael understands why he's not in the squad, he agrees that he shouldn't be in the squad, it's nothing major," said the head coach.
"But there are certain things you have to make sure you do to be in the squad.
"You've got guys like Jay Fulton at home training so hard, Rhys Williams, Brandon Cooper.
"You have to behave every day like what you are, a professional footballer.
"He's done nothing major but there's stuff we need to help him with.
"He's disappointed. I'm disappointed he's not here, but performance doesn't come before culture, it's the other way around. He'll get there and I'm sure he'll be back involved soon.
"It's just a few disciplinary things in terms of the way we train, time keeping and it does matter unfortunately."
SHARPEN UP Swansea striker Michael Obafemi
SUPPORT Russell Martin
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||The Mirror (London, England)|
|Date:||Nov 10, 2021|
|Previous Article:||Shake-up lifts Tour prize pot; GOLF EUROPEAN TOUR.|
|Next Article:||Canaries star really shocked by sacking.|