Mark your calendar Mark your calendar.
* Batavia's Books Between Bites welcomes Lester Munson at noon Thursday, March 15, at Batavia Public Library, 10 S. Batavia Ave. The public is invited to attend these free programs and reservations are not required. ESPN senior writer and legal analyst will discuss two sports-related books: "Arnie: The Life of Arnold Palmer" by Tom Callahan; and "Smart Baseball: The Story Behind the Old Stats That Are Ruining the Game, the New Ones That Are Running It, and the Right Way to Think About Baseball" by Keith Law. He has selected two sports-related books this year by authors with whom he is acquainted. Visit booksbetweenbites.com.
* The Geneva Food and Beverage Association will host a forum on the March 20 referendum to increase the city portion of sales tax from .5 percent to 1 percent. It will be at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 15, at Country House, 2095 S. Kirk Road. All are invited to learn about the referendum. The half-percent increase will keep Geneva at a competitive total sales tax rate of 8 percent (equal to and no more than St. Charles and Batavia). According to the association, the revenue will support needed capital and infrastructure investments that will benefit everyone without property or other tax increases. The referendum is endorsed by the Geneva Chamber of Commerce and Geneva Food and Beverage establishments, among others. To learn more, visit www.genevafab.com.
* Elderday Center, 328 W. Wilson St., Batavia, offers a monthly caregiver support group for those providing support services for those with Alzheimer's disease, dementia, stroke, head injury, Parkinson's and other debilitating disorders. It meets from 1:30 to 3 p.m. the third Thursday of each month. For details, contact Mollie Blum at (630) 761-9750 or email@example.com.
* Steel Beam Theatre, 111 W. Main St., St. Charles, will present "Three the Hard Way" by Lisa Eisenstein to March 18. Performances will be at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays and 3 p.m. Sundays. Tickets are $28, $25 for seniors, or $23 for students. Visit www.steelbeamtheatre.com/three-the-hard-way.
* The next Third Friday Community Dinner will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday, March 16, in the Great Hall at Fox
Valley Presbyterian Church, 227 East Side Drive, Geneva. They will be serving assorted pizzas, Italian salad, and a "Touch of Green" desserts. Bring family and friends and enjoy a free, relaxing dinner. It will be dine-in or takeout. For details, call (630) 232-7448.
* Saints Peter & Paul Parish, 5N939 Meredith Road, Virgil invites the community to its Friday Fish Fries from 5 to 8 p.m. Fridays, through March 23. Cost is $12-$15 or $4-$7 for kids, age 5 to 10. Kids under age 5 are admitted free. They will be serving bake cod, fried perch, baked potato, fries, green beans, coleslaw, applesauce, and roll. Shrimp and beverage is extra charge. Mac-and-cheese for kids is available. For details, contact Kathy Volkening at firstname.lastname@example.org or (630) 365-6618.
* The annual Indoor St. Charles Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Fridays in Baker Hall at Baker Memorial United Methodist Church, 307 Cedar Ave. Find "St. Charles Farmers Market" on Facebook.
* Get ideas on how to refresh, remodel and renew your home at The Home Shows from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, March 17 and 18, at the Kane County Fairgrounds, 525 S. Randall Road, St. Charles. Talk to local home improvement specialists and learn how to save money and energy too. Admission and parking are free. Visit www.ChicagoHomeShow.net.
* The Batavia Depot Museum is gearing up for spring and the 2018 Victory Garden Exhibit by hosting a seed swap at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 17, at the Lodge at Laurelwood, 800 N. River St. Bring your excess seeds, clean pots and garden supplies to swap with other garden enthusiasts. There will be a free exchange of seeds and a seed starting station. The fee is $5. Visit www.bataviahistoricalsociety.org.
* The CHIP-In Prom Dress Drive Giveaway will be 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, March 17, at the Batavia Public Library, 10 S Batavia Ave. March 16. It will feature about 200 gently used and clean prom dresses, shoes, jewelry and purses for girls from any school district, regardless of need. Visit chipinbatavia.org.
* The Greater Chicago Soap Box Derby Association will be conducting an official Indoor All American Soap Box Derby Rally Race from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, March 17-18, at the Fox Valley Mall in Aurora. Visit www.soapboxderby.org/greater-chicago.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, IL)|
|Date:||Mar 15, 2018|
|Previous Article:||From the clubs From the clubs.|
|Next Article:||Lake County Board 17th District hopefuls talk forest preserves Primary: Taxes, good-paying jobs, new businesses hot topics.|