Printer Friendly

Maple St. fire displaces 5; Three units damaged.

Byline: Patricia J. James

MARLBORO - A Maple Street fire yesterday displaced four adults and an infant, causing heavy damage to the building's second and third floors and sending one firefighter to the hospital with a back injury.

The two-alarm fire in the 2-1/2-story building at 214 Maple St., directly across from the fire station at 215 Maple St., was reported shortly before 3:30 p.m., according to Deputy Fire Chief Ron P. Ayotte. He said the building has three apartments, including one that was converted from an attic some time ago. The residents of all three apartments were displaced because of the fire, but no one was home when it started, he said.

"None of the apartments are habitable at this point in time," Deputy Chief Ayotte said, adding that the Red Cross was called to assist the displaced residents.

Additionally, Mayor Nancy E. Stevens was notified of the fire, and the city is providing some items the residents might need to tide them over for a day or two, the deputy chief said. "They're not going to get back in there for quite some time."

The second- and third-floor apartments suffered heavy fire damage, he said, and the first-floor apartment had heavy water damage. He estimated the fire may have caused between $150,000 and $200,000 worth of damage to the building and its contents.

The Marlboro Fire Department sent two engines, a ladder truck and a rescue vehicle to the fire, Deputy Chief Ayotte said. The Southboro Fire Department covered Marlboro Fire Headquarters while the Sudbury Fire Department covered the fire station on Boston Post Road East, he said.

Firefighters' efforts were somewhat hampered by wind gusts, the cold temperature and icing conditions, Deputy Chief Ayotte said.

"It was a very windy day," he said. "It's bad enough when you're dealing with the fire; now you're dealing with Mother Nature, too."

At one point, firefighters had to evacuate the building

because of intense fire

on the second floor, Deputy Chief Ayotte said.

"Basically, the fire erupted out of the walls," he said, adding that firefighters went back into the building after a head count.

One firefighter was treated for a back injury at Marlboro Hospital and released.

Deputy Chief Ayotte said it took 1-1/2 to two hours to extinguish the fire. Crews were there for several more hours.

The point of origin and cause of the fire were under investigation by the state fire marshal's office and the Marlboro Fire Department arson team.


CUTLINE: MARLBORO - Firefighters try to reach a hot spot during a house fire at 214 Maple St.

COPYRIGHT 2007 Worcester Telegram & Gazette
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:LOCAL NEWS
Publication:Telegram & Gazette (Worcester, MA)
Date:Dec 18, 2007
Previous Article:Morgado wins high acclaim.
Next Article:TruGreen violated wetlands rules; DEP orders fine, restoration.

Related Articles
Fires taxing Red Cross as winter approaches.
Blaze displaces residents; Five-alarm fire taxes resources of firefighters.
Blaze damages building; Fitchburg fire hits two families.
Fire displaces 11 on Vernon Street; Red Cross assists one family of 3.
Apartment blaze likely sparked by smoking; Chief says fire that ruined six units started accidentally.
Fire displaces two families.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters