Man pleads not guilty in fatal stabbing.
WORCESTER - A 21-year-old Princeton man charged with murder in a fatal stabbing at a party earlier this year pleaded not guilty at his arraignment Wednesday morning in Worcester Superior Court.
Jay S. Anderson, of 15 Calamint Hill Road North, Princeton, was indicted March 15 on a charge of first-degree murder in the Feb. 2 stabbing of 20-year-old Boris M. Velez II during a party at 35 Sherbrook Ave. Mr. Velez, who suffered a stab wound to the neck, died Feb. 5 at UMass Memorial Medical Center - University Campus.
Investigators said an argument between Mr. Anderson and Mr. Velez preceded the stabbing.
Mr. Anderson turned himself in at the Worcester Trial Court Feb. 6, after police obtained a warrant for his arrest. He was ordered held without bail at his initial arraignment that day in Central District Court.
A Worcester County grand jury handed up a murder indictment against him March 15, moving the case to Worcester Superior Court.
Accompanied by his lawyer, Christopher P. LoConto, Mr. Anderson entered a not-guilty plea at his arraignment before Judge James R. Lemire Thursday and was ordered held without bail without prejudice, which will enable Mr. LoConto to request a bail hearing at a later date.
At the request of Mr. LoConto and Assistant District Attorney Brett F. Dillon, Judge Lemire continued Mr. Anderson's case to April 30.
"We are hoping for an early trial date because he absolutely maintains his innocence in this," Mr. LoConto said when asked for comment after the arraignment.
NOTE: 2013 INCIDENT