Printer Friendly

Man knocked unconscious in PO attack.

A MAN standing outside a post office was left unconscious on the floor after being confronted by a passer-by demanding to know about an attack on his brother.

Darren Charleston had tried to make a run for it when 23-year-old Warren Collins, of Heol Parc Maen, Gellideg, walked past him.

Mike Hammett, prosecuting at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court where Collins admitted unlawful wounding, said that on the night of June 4 Mr Charleston had been standing outside the Swansea Road Post Office in Gellideg when he was approached by Collins.

The complainant turned and tried to flee but felt a blow to the side of his head and he fell to the floor, striking his head and losing consciousness.

He was lying there for 25 minutes, seemingly still out for the count, when the ambulance arrived.

He received treatment at Prince Charles Hospital where the gash was glued.

On arrest, Collins told police that he had not punched Mr Charleston but had swung his plastered arm at him and he had lost his footing.

Nicholas Gedge, defending Collins, who has a record for violence from 14 court appearances for 24 convictions, said he had been making good progress on the community order imposed for racially aggravated harassment days after this latest offence was committed.

Judge Richard Twomlow imposed a 12-month community order and ordered him to carry out 200 hours' unpaid work.

He added: "You have come perilously close to being sent to prison immediately."
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:South Wales Echo (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:Dec 16, 2011
Previous Article:Evans drops two places in the ISAF 49er class.
Next Article:Pupils set to have a real ball after competition win.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |