Printer Friendly

Man hospitalised for two weeks after tea overdose.

Summary: The patient said that he had been drinking one to two glasses of tea every day.

(alamy.com)

An 84-year-old Canadian man went into a hypertensive crisis, severe increase in blood pressure, after he 'overdosed' on his homemade liquorice tea.

The large amount of liquorice tea consumed caused his blood pressure to soar to dangerous levels, and he was hospitalised for two weeks, The Mirror reported.

The patient said that he had been drinking one to two glasses of homemade licorice root extract tea daily for two weeks.

Medics have warned that too much liquorice can cause many health problems. According to medics, "Several cases of licorice-induced hypertensive crises have been reported, with various presentations including heart failure with pulmonary edema, hypertensive encephalopathy, and stroke."

Copyright [c] 2019 Khaleej Times. All Rights Reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).

COPYRIGHT 2019 SyndiGate Media Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Khaleej Times (Dubai, United Arab Emirates)
Date:May 30, 2019
Words:141
Previous Article:Video: Filipino drives car from passenger seat, goes viral.
Next Article:Family driver in UAE gets 3 months in prison for molesting 8-year-old girl.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |