Printer Friendly

Man dies after trading gunfire with police.

Byline: Rebecca Nolan The Register-Guard

A 34-year-old man believed to be suffering from mental illness died Friday after exchanging gunfire with Eugene police.

The two officers involved were not injured.

Investigators did not release the names of the man or the officers Friday.

The man's mother called police at 2:09 p.m. and said she was concerned about her son's welfare. Officers were dispatched to the mother's house at 2340 Norwood St. in north Eugene.

The address was familiar to police, Eugene police spokeswoman Pam Olshanski said.

"Officers had been called to the same address as recently as last week on a similar issue," she said.

When police arrived, they separated mother and son.

One officer took the 60-year-old woman inside to discuss the situation. The other officer spoke with the son in the backyard.

At some point during the discussion in the backyard, the son and the officer exchanged gunfire, Olshanski said.

The officer inside the house heard the shots and also fired at the man.

Police called for an ambulance at 3:02 p.m. The son died at the scene.

Police released no additional details Friday. Investigators were waiting for a judge to approve a search warrant before re-entering the house, Olshanski said.

Eugene Police Chief Robert Lehner visited the scene about an hour after the shooting.

The two officers and the man's mother, a local real estate agent, were being interviewed later that day.

County land records show that the mother purchased the three-bedroom, two-bathroom, 1,720-square-foot home in September 2002. The woman runs a real estate business out of the house, state business records show.

Dozens of police cars clogged the neighborhood for much of the afternoon. School buses were forced to alter their routes to avoid the area.

Neighbors who gathered along the crime scene tape blocking the intersection of Norwood Street and Elysium Avenue said they did not know the woman or her son.

One woman who would not give her name said she heard the gunshots but initially mistook them for the sound of someone using a hammer.

It was the first fatal shooting involving Eugene police officers since Jan. 17, 2003. On that day, nine Metro SWAT officers shot 35-year-old Creswell resident Guy Einer McClure up to 31 times when he stepped outside his trailer at the end of an eight-hour standoff and refused to drop the .44-caliber Magnum in his hand.

In the aftermath of an officer-involved shooting, police conduct two separate investigations - one into whether the parties involved committed any crimes and another into whether the officers involved complied with police policies, practices and procedures.

In addition, the Lane County District Attorney's Office typically reviews all the facts of the shooting and determines whether the use of force was justified under the circumstances.


Police in Lane County have injured or killed nine other people in shootings since 2000.

Aug. 9, 2005: Five Lane County sheriff's deputies fired 53 rounds at James David Moore Jr., 49, when he leveled a 9mm handgun at them during a domestic dispute at his Elmira home. Moore fired three shots at deputies. He died at the scene.

June 26, 2005: Springfield police officer Ethan Spencer fatally shot 15-year-old Jason Michael Porter in the driver's seat of a stolen pickup truck. Spencer told investigators he thought he saw a weapon in Porter's hand. The teen was unarmed.

July 5, 2003: Springfield police officer Jason Brown shot Tyler Phillip Smith, 21, once in the abdomen after a chase and scuffle at a Gateway Street apartment complex. Smith, who had been suffering from mental illness, survived.

March 8, 2003: Springfield police officer Robert Parrish shot Lindy Wayne Bankus, 47, once in the right hip after Bankus pointed a gun at officers responding to a family disturbance at his home.

Jan. 17, 2003: Nine Metro SWAT officers shot Guy Einer McClure, 35, as many as 31 times when he stepped outside his Creswell trailer armed with a .44-caliber Magnum during an overnight standoff. McClure died at the scene.

April 1, 2002: Eugene police officer Sean Hughes shot and then struck 37-year-old Robert Allen Cameron with his car as the kidnap, rape and carjacking suspect fled from police during a violent crime spree in downtown Eugene.

Oct. 3, 2001: Springfield police officer Rod Harrison wounded Jaired Paul Gordon, 29, as Gordon, who claimed he was God, charged the officer with a pocketknife.

Feb. 26, 2001: Eugene police officer Ray Brown injured 27-year-old Jason Glen Campbell after he shot at the officer during a bank robbery in south Eugene. The woman Campbell had taken hostage was not injured.

Feb. 21, 2001: Eugene police officer Ted Williams critically injured fellow SWAT officer Sgt. Jay Shadwick during a standoff with armed man Robbie Leon Harris, 24, near Creswell. Shadwick recovered.


Eugene Police Chief Robert Lehner speaks with officers at the scene of a shooting in north Eugene. A 34-year-old man believed to have had a mental illness died after exchanging gunfire with police at a home on Norwood Street off Gilham Road. Thomas Boyd / The Register-Guard
COPYRIGHT 2006 The Register Guard
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Crime; The two officers involved were not injured in the shooting in north Eugene
Publication:The Register-Guard (Eugene, OR)
Date:Feb 18, 2006
Previous Article:Casino ups the stakes with expansion.

Related Articles
City/Region Digest.
City/Region Digest.
Authorities investigate SWAT team shooting.
Three arrested in home robbery case.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters