Printer Friendly

Man died of accidental overdose of painkillers for chronic backache.

JANE TYLER jane.tyler@trinitymirror.com A FACTORY worker died when he accidentally took a massive overdose of a prescription-only painkiller for his chronic backache.

Daniel Richardson, aged 31, had nearly nine times the recommended level of Tramadol in his system.

An inquest heard it was not known where he had got Tramadol from as it had not been prescribed by his GP.

The factory worker had been given Co-codamol by his doctor for his backache and at the time had expressed concern to her about the amount of painkillers he was taking. Birmingham Coroner's Court was told Daniel had been found by his partner unconscious in bed in his flat in Trent Drive, Castle Bromwich, on December 1 last year.

Paramedics attempted resuscitation, but he was declared dead at the scene.

The inquest heard a post-mortem examination found he had extremely high levels of Tramadol - a very powerful prescription-only painkiller - in his system.

A recommended safe level is between 0.1 - 0.8 mgs - and Daniel had 9.5mgs. The dose associated with fatality is 6mgs. A report from his GP told how Daniel had been to see her three weeks before his death complaining of pain in his left lower back, which he believed were kidney stones.

The GP wanted to send him to hospital for further checks, but he refused.

In her report, the GP said: "I prescribed him Co-codamol and we had a discussion because he was concerned about the amount of painkillers he was already taking."

The pathologist's examination found no evidence of kidney stones, but was unable to establish the cause of his back pain.

Daniel's partner, sister and a friend told the inquest he had suffered pain ever since breaking his arm a couple of years ago.

They did not know where he had obtained the Tramadol from as his GP had never prescribed it and had warned him against taking large amounts of painkillers.

Coroner Emma Brown recorded a conclusion of accidental death. She said: "We don't know for certain, but there is a strong probability that Daniel took too many Tramadol and accidentally overdosed."

There'is' a strong probability that Daniel took too many Tramadol and accidentally overdosed." BIRMINGHAM CORONER EMMA BROWN

COPYRIGHT 2018 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Solihull News (Solihull, Birmingham, England)
Date:Jan 19, 2018
Words:370
Previous Article:Backpacker is killed in motorbike crash as he tries to save girlfriend.
Next Article:Reverse shoulder success gives grandmother Virginia a huge lift; Advertisement Feature.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters