Printer Friendly

Man comatose after exposure to ricin poison.

CNN reported on Feb. 29 that a man was comatose in a Las Vegas hospital after the deadly poison ricin was found in his hotel room. Police do not suspect foul play in his poisoning, but why the substance was in the room is still a mystery. Authorities were called to an Extended Stay America hotel, used by transients, after a relative of the afflicted man called to report pets in his hotel room. Authorities found a dead dog and, in the process, two vials of ricin. There is neither evidence that terrorism is involved, nor evidence of any spread of the deadly substance. It is not clear yet whether the poisoned victim was the owner of the vials of ricin. A book on anarchy and firearms were discovered in the room as well. As little as 500 micrograms--an amount the size of the head of a pin--of the toxin can kill an adult. Symptoms of ricin poisoning can include anything from difficulty breathing, fever, cough, nausea, and sweating to severe vomiting and dehydration.
COPYRIGHT 2008 Nelson Publishing
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Medical Laboratory Observer
Article Type:Brief article
Geographic Code:1USA
Date:Apr 1, 2008
Previous Article:Incorrect alphabits.
Next Article:Health department warns 40K patients in Nevada.

Related Articles
The case of the caustic cop.
Ricin: the next biological terror agent?
Concerns about a strange Las Vegas story still surface.
Grand jury indicts man for ricin possession.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |