Printer Friendly

Man at party in drunken fall to death.

Byline: Jane Tyler Staff Reporter

AN "attention seeker" died after he fell off a sixth floor tower block window ledge during a drunken party in Birmingham, an inquest heard.

Thomas O'Sullivan, aged 24, had drunk more than three times the legal drink drive limit when he fell to his death in Weoley Castle.

Birmingham Coroner's Court heard how Mr O' Sullivan had threatened to jump off high ledges numerous times before, and always texted his friends and "said his last goodbyes" on Facebook whenever he did so.

Det Insp Pete Dunn told the inquest how Mr O' Sullivan fell from the bathroom window in a flat in Ascot Court, Abdon Avenue, Weoley Castle, in March 2012.

Police interviewed party-goers, including Mark Mason, with whom Mr O'Sullivan was in a relationship.

Mr Mason told detectives they were both drunk and had an argument and ended up in the bathroom where Mr O'Sullivan grabbed some razor blades and threatened to cut himself.

Det Insp Dunn said: "Thomas then climbed into the bath and onto the window ledge, with one leg inside the window and one leg out, and threatened to jump.

"Mr Mason didn't think he would jump and the argument carried on when suddenly Thomas fell from the window ledge."

He said a forensic analysis of the bath revealed only one footprint - that of Mr O'Sullivan's - leading them to conclude no-one else had been involved in his death.

A post mortem examination revealed he died of a chest injury and had a blood alcohol level of 264 mcgs - the legal limit for driving is 80mcgs.

Police logs revealed at least four occasions in the previous year when Mr O'Sullivan, who lived in The Poolway, Stechford, had been found by police on high ledges threatening to jump, but had always been talked down by officers and passersby.

His sister, Rachel O'Sullivan, told the inquest her brother would never kill himself.

"He was an attention seeker," she said. "Usually when he was going to jump he would message people or go on Facebook and say his last goodbyes.

"Which is why we think that night was an accident because if this was his last day, he would have made sure everyone knew about it, yet we didn't hear from him."

Assistant Coroner Sarah Ormond-Walshe said although Mr O'Sullivan had a "troubled history" with lots of cries for help, on this occasion she was satisfied he did not intend to fall and recorded a conclusion of accidental death.

'"He was an attention seeker. Usually when he was going to jump he would message people or go on Facebook and say his last goodbyes. rachel o'sullivan


Ascot Court, in Abdon Avenue, Weoley Castle
COPYRIGHT 2014 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2014 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Birmingham Mail (England)
Date:Feb 17, 2014
Previous Article:Police hunting Al Qaeda man despite death claims.
Next Article:Council praise for law firm's input.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters