Man admits to trying to take control of Malaysian plane.
Picture used for illustrative purpose only.
A Sri Lankan man who threatened to set off a bomb on a Malaysia Airlines flight has pleaded guilty in an Australian court to attempting to take control of an aircraft. Manodh Marks, a 25-year-old catering student, had tried to enter the cockpit while making the bomb threat mid-air on the Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur flight in May, forcing the aircraft to turn back. Marks pleaded guilty in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday in a plea deal, according to Australian Associated Press. The charge carries a maximum of 20 years in jail. Police said that Marks had been released from psychiatric care on the same day he bought a ticket and boarded the flight. Malaysia Airlines flight MH128 was carrying 337 passengers. Marks was overpowered by passengers who tied him up with belts. He had been holding what the police later said was a "speaker-type" object. In the plea deal, the prosecutors threw out several serious charges, including an attempt to hijack an aircraft and threatening to detonate an explosive, which carry a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. Marks has been remanded in custody. The next hearing is in April.
[c] Gulf Times Newspaper 2017 Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Gulf Times (Doha, Qatar)|
|Date:||Dec 8, 2017|
|Previous Article:||Fatal 'one-punch' attacker jailed for 10 years in Australian first.|
|Next Article:||Index gains as six of the seven sectors experience robust buying interests.|