Malcolm D. Pearson.
His wife of 60 years, Myra (Holding) Pearson, died in 1999. He leaves a son, Paul H. Pearson and his wife Anne of Sandwich, MA and Fort Myers, FL; a daughter, Marcia E. Hopper and her husband Ron of Hubbardston; two grandsons, Scott D. Pearson and Todd E. Pearson; Todd's wife Julie and their two sons, Thomas and Christopher; and three nieces. Malcolm was preceded in death by one brother, two sisters, and a nephew.
Malcolm was born in Plymouth, NH, son of Charles N. and Sarah E. (Persons) Pearson. When he was a teenager, the family moved first to Milford, where Malcolm graduated from high school, then to Upton. After graduation, Malcolm began his 35-year career as an industrial photographer at the Whitin Machine Works until the company moved South. He then ran the graphics department at Morgan Construction Company in Worcester until his retirement. Malcolm earned an excellent reputation for his photography, including aerial and high-speed work. His photographs appear in a variety of publications including numerous books on archeology.
While living in Upton, Malcolm discovered a beehive-shaped underground stone chamber on his family's property. The discovery launched a life-long avocation in archeology. In 2008 the former Pearson property was acquired by the Town of Upton for the purpose of creating a park and preserving the beehive chamber known as the "Upton Cave." Recently this structure was renamed the Pearson Chamber at Upton in recognition of Malcolm's contribution to furthering archeological research at the site. Malcolm was a founding member of the New England Early Sites Foundation, which transformed into the current New England Antiquities Research Association. From 1950 to 1965 he owned "Mystery Hill" in Salem, NH, now known as America's Stonehenge.
In 1950 Malcolm and Myra moved their family to Sutton. Here Malcolm became involved in the community, contributing hundreds of volunteer hours, playing an instrumental role in its 250th Anniversary in 1954, becoming a charter member and serving as President of the Sutton Historical Society, and chairing for several years the Sutton Historical Commission.
After cremation, a burial service will be held at the convenience of the family in Fairview Cemetery, South Grafton. There are no calling hours. Memorial donations may be made to the Sutton Historical Society, General Rufus Putnam Hall, 4 Uxbridge Rd., Sutton, MA 01527 or visit their website at www.suttonhistoricalsociety.org. Carr Funeral Home, 24 Hill Street, Whitinsville, is directing arrangements.