Printer Friendly

MY SPECIAL DAY; Geoffrey can remember Town's 1938 Wembley final as if it was yesterday.

Byline: Phil Booth News Reporter

HE is a great grandfather with a great memory.

And Geoffrey Brook can still recall one of Huddersfield Town's most exhilarating days as if it happened yesterday.

The 92-year-old was at the 1938 FA Cup final at Wembley, which thrust the Terriers into the spotlight by being the first final to be televised in its entirety.

He was then a bright-eyed 14-year-old, who headed down to London with his mum and dad on the train.

"My father was a railwayman and he got three passes so we could all go down," he reflected.

"We had two tickets for the match and my mother wasn't going to go. But my dad asked some of the spivs outside for a ticket.

"He couldn't get one, but someone saw him and went up to him and offered a ticket, for a lot of money.

"Me and my dad had tickets which cost three and sixpence and had to stand, but my mum got a first class seat which was great."

The match had special signifi-cance with it being televised by the BBC. King George VI was there on April 30 to shake the hands of every player, watched by young Geoffrey, who remembers much of the game, which ended in heartache for Town.

Their opponents Preston won 1-0, George Mutch scoring from the penalty spot with just one minute of extra time left.

Just before it, BBC commentator Thomas Woodrooffe had said "if there's a goal scored now, I'll eat my hat".

Apparently he kept his promise.

Geoffrey added: "We were standing at the other end of the pitch so couldn't really see much of the penalty incident.

"At first it looked as if the keeper had saved it, but he hadn't, and it was very disappointing.

"But we had a great time. We stayed in London for three or four days and saw all the sights. It was a wonderful trip."

Geoffrey, who lives in Kirkheaton, has followed Huddersfield on and off down the years, but prefers cricket.

"I used to live in Leeds Road and would often pop along to the games, but cricket is my favourite."

A retired engineer, he worked for Thomas Broadbent in Queen Street.

A widower, he has three children, and "a lot" of grandchildren and great grandchildren.

"I have lived in Hudders-field all my life, and I can still remember the excitement of that trip. There can't be many of us left now who were there in 1938. but I can still remember it."


| Thomas Woodrooffe was the commentator on the 1938 FA Cup final between Huddersfield Town and Preston North End.

| Geoffrey Brook was at the final in 1938

| The King, George VI, shakes hands with Huddersfield Town players before the televised 1938 FA Cup final against Preston North End at Wembley Stadium.

| Huddersfield Town captain Alf Young tosses the coin watched by Preston North End captain Tom Smith before their FA Cup final at Wembley in 1938. It was the first one to be televised in its entirety

| Background image: The famous Twin Towers of the old Wembley stadium

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2016 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Date:May 2, 2016
Previous Article:Police praise crowds for Tour de Yorks.
Next Article:Chance to create card for charity.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters