Printer Friendly

MTEL UNITS IN SERVICE TOTAL 196,800; INCREASE OF 44 PERCENT

 MTEL UNITS IN SERVICE TOTAL 196,800; INCREASE OF 44 PERCENT
 JACKSON, Miss., April 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Mobile Telecommunication Technologies Corp. (NASDAQ-NMS: MTEL) today announced that it had 196,800 paging and voice messaging units in service worldwide as of March 31, 1992. This first quarter total represents a 44 percent annual increase over the 1991 first quarter total of 137,100.
 "We are particularly pleased by the growth of our principal source of revenue -- SkyPager units in the United States. We have enjoyed a very positive response to the introduction of our Message Card credit card-sized pager, SkyWord alphanumeric messaging service and our regional coverage," said J. Robert Fugate, chief financial officer of Mtel.
 Mtel's 1992 first quarter units in service total includes 134,800 SkyPager units and 20,800 SkyTalk units in the United States, as well as 39,900 paging units in the United Kingdom.
 The company also reported its first sales in Mexico through its 49 percent-owned joint venture company Communicaciones Mtel. The joint venture added 2,600 paging units in Mexico since launching commercial service in the middle of the first quarter. Mtel has included 1,300 units, its 49 percent share of the total customer base in that country, in its first quarter units total. The remaining 51 percent of unit sales in Mexico are recorded by Mtel's joint venture partner Grupo Televisa S.A. de C.V.
 SkyPager units in service in the first quarter grew at a 45 percent annual increase from the first quarter of 1991. Paging units in the United Kingdom rose at a 38 percent annual rate of growth for the same time period.
 Mtel, headquartered in Jackson, Miss., is engaged in businesses that include nationwide paging and voice messaging services (provided through SkyTel Corp.) in the United States; nationwide paging services in the United Kingdom; international messaging services provided by Mtel International; an investment in American Mobile Satellite Corp. (AMSC) and other operations.
 -0- 4/9/92
 /CONTACT: David Allan or Kathleen Baum of Burson-Marsteller, 212-614-5163 or 212-614-4239, for Mtel/
 (MTEL) CO: Mobile Telecommunication Technologies Corp. ST: Mississippi IN: TLS SU:


GK-OS -- NY028 -- 6655 04/09/92 10:05 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1992 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1992 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Apr 9, 1992
Words:361
Previous Article:KMART CORPORATION REPORTS MARCH SALES INCREASE
Next Article:ALEXANDER PROUDFOOT PLC ANNOUNCES 1991 ANNUAL RESULTS


Related Articles
MTEL UNITS IN SERVICE UP 45 PERCENT IN 1991
MTEL'S ANNUAL REVENUE EXCEEDS $90 MILLION; UP 36 PERCENT IN 1991
MTEL FIRST QUARTER REVENUE UP 25 PERCENT ON STRONG DEMAND FOR NATIONWIDE MESSAGING
MTEL HAS BEST SALES QUARTER TO DATE; UNITS IN SERVICE REACH 217,000
MTEL SECOND QUARTER REVENUE AT $28 MILLION VERSUS $22 MILLION LAST YEAR
MTEL SECOND QUARTER REVENUE AT $28 MILLION VERSUS $22 MILLION LAST YEAR
MTEL REPORTS 239,100 UNITS IN SERVICE; BESTS PREVIOUS RECORD SALES QUARTER IN U.S.
MTEL ENDS YEAR WITH 244,200 UNITS IN SERVICE WORLDWIDE; SKYPAGERS UP 45 PERCENT
MTEL'S UNITS UP 34 PERCENT TO 263,800 IN FIRST QUARTER
MTEL HAS 291,300 UNITS WORLDWIDE; SKYTEL CORP. POSTS BEST QUARTER TO DATE

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters