Printer Friendly

MOTORCYCLISTS TO 'RIDE FOR KIDS'

 DETROIT, Aug. 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Hundreds of Michigan motorcyclists will soon participate in the national "Ride for Kids" program to raise money to fight pediatric brain tumors, the No. 1 cause of death of the nation's children by disease. The Sunday, Aug. 29, event, which starts at Baker College in Flint, Mich., and ends at the Shiawassee County Fairgrounds, is one of 12 events nationwide. This is the second year that the event will be held in Michigan.
 Donations from the Michigan event will benefit pediatric brain tumor research at the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor. As a result of corporate sponsorship by American Honda Motor Co. and other local sponsors, 100 percent of rider donations will go directly to research efforts.
 Of the donations received at the Michigan event, 75 percent will go directly to the Neurology Department of the University of Michigan. The remaining 25 percent will help fund the Ride for Kids National Registry, a data bank to collect vital patient and disease information. Since 1984, the Ride for Kids program has raised over $1.4 million for pediatric brain tumor research, through events held in Atlanta, Chicago, Southern California, Ohio and other locations.
 "We're delighted that Michigan motorcyclists are joining us in our national effort," said Mike Traynor, founder of Ride for Kids and the Brain Tumor Research Foundation. "Through the tremendous support of the motorcycling community, we're working to conquer this serious childhood disease."
 Traynor, a former motorcycle roadracer, founded the Ride for Kids program after learning that a friend's daughter had been diagnosed as having a brain tumor. To raise awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research, he organized the first Ride for Kids event in Atlanta in 1984. The motorcycle division of American Honda Motor Co. became a national sponsor in 1987, to ensure that all money donated by riders would go directly for research purposes and not administration costs.
 Registration begins at 8 a.m. at Baker College. To participate, each rider must contribute a minimum of $35. Interested motorcyclists can obtain information from any Honda motorcycle dealer.
 -0- 8/25/93
 /CONTACT: Jeff Leestma of American Honda Motor, 313-567-7770; or Mike Traynor of Ride for Kids Foundation, 404-394-7870/
 (HMC)


CO: Ride for Kids; American Honda Motor Co. ST: Michigan IN: HEA AUT SU:

SB-MI -- DE003 -- 5704 08/25/93 08:44 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1993 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1993 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Aug 25, 1993
Words:395
Previous Article:JULY HOME SALES JUMP AS CONSUMERS RESPOND TO LOW RATES
Next Article:SMALL BUSINESSES BE ADVISED: IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, PLAN TO FAIL; AT&T OFFERS FREE COPIES OF BUSINESS STUDY

Terms of use | Copyright © 2016 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters