MNLF leader: Duterte's BBL stand dangerous.
A LEADER of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) on Sunday described as a possibly 'dangerous' approach President Duterte's statement that the legislation of the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) would only be pursued if his administration's plan to change the system of government to federalism failed.
'This approach of the President is like keeping an activated bomb at the backburner. His approach is maybe dangerous to pursue,' MNLF central committee chair Muslimin Sema said in a statement.
Sema said the Bangsamoro people may not be able to wait for an 'uncertain period' in implementing the agreements signed with the government by the MNLF and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) that resulted from 'major compromises' from their original objectives of total freedom and independence.
He pointed out that the 1976 Tripoli Agreement signed between the Philippine government and the MNLF pertained to a particular area-Muslim Mindanao-unlike the Duterte administration's federal plan, which covers many areas.
Sema recalled that there was a convergence and harmonization of the MILF and MNLF peace tracts signed on June 29, 2016, and implementing these soonest during Duterte's administration may serve as a model for the other areas of the Philippines in line with the government's federalization plan.
The MILF and the MNLF signed in Darapanan, Maguindanao province, a joint statement to organize a joint technical working group with the task of finding common ground in the agreements signed by the government with the MNLF and the MILF.
This was in compliance with a resolution on the question of Muslims in the Southern Philippines issued by the Organization of Islamic Conference's council for foreign ministers in May last year.