Printer Friendly

MCI PUTS CONSUMERS ON THE ROAD TO SAVINGS; MCI ANNOUNCES PARTICIPATION IN NEW GM MASTERCARD

 MCI PUTS CONSUMERS ON THE ROAD TO SAVINGS;
 MCI ANNOUNCES PARTICIPATION IN NEW GM MASTERCARD
 WASHINGTON, Sept. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- At a press conference held today in New York City, General Motors (NYSE: GM) unveiled its new GM Card and announced that MCI Communications Corporation (NASDAQ-NMS: MCIC) will join several other blue chip companies as an affinity participant. The GM Card, a MasterCard offered by Household Bank, permits a cardmember to receive credits on charges to the card, which may be applied toward the purchase or lease of a new GM vehicle.
 MCI, the exclusive long-distance company in the new MCI/GM program, will provide an array of MCI consumer services to participants. New or existing MCI customers who sign up for the GM Card can earn credits of 5 percent of every dollar spent on MCI long distance service and can apply those credits toward the purchase or lease of a new GM car or truck. New GM Card members may also earn an additional 5 percent credit from General Motors if their MCI charges are billed directly to their GM Cards -- for a total of 10 percent of every long distance dollar spent.
 As an introductory offer, new MCI customers who subscribe through the MCI/GM program will receive a $25 bonus credit to their GM account when they enroll in MCI's basic Dial "1" long distance service. MCI's Dial "1" service allows customers to call anytime, from any telephone in the United States, by dialing "1" plus the area code and the number.
 "The new MCI/GM arrangement will not only allow MCI customers to receive savings on long distance calls, but we're helping them build up their credits toward the purchase of quality GM cars or trucks," said Gerald H. Taylor, president of MCI Consumer Markets.
 MCI itself will also offer a new MCI/GM Calling Card which lets customers earn 5 percent of every dollar spent on calling card calls to be credited toward the purchase or lease of a new GM car or truck. New cardholders will also receive a $5 bonus credit toward their GM account as soon as they use their MCI/GM Calling Cards. MCI was the first major long distance company to offer convenient, easy-to-use features such as conference calling, MCI Messenger, speed dialing and MCI ExpressInfo to consumers in connection with a single calling card.
 Taylor added, "Whether calling back to the office or calling friends and family members, the new MCI/GM Calling Card will provide unsurpassed service and quality."
 MCI and General Motors began a business relationship in the mid- 1970s which continued to grow through GM's acquisition of Electronic Data Services (EDS) in 1984. Several major agreements have resulted from this association, including a special program offering a broad range of MCI products and services specifically designed for GM dealerships nationwide.
 MCI Communications Corporation, headquartered in Washington, is the nation's second-largest long-distance provider. MCI offers residential savings through a number of products and services including: Friends & Family; MCI PrimeTime; MCI Personal 800; MCI Around the World; the MCI Card and the Friends & Family Card.
 -0- 9/9/92
 /CONTACT: Kate Fralin, 703-415-6941, or Anna Garibaldi, 703-415-6445, both of MCI/
 (MCIC GM) CO: MCI Communications Corporation; General Motors ST: District of Columbia IN: TLS AUT SU: PDT


KD -- DC009 -- 7504 09/09/92 12:30 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1992 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1992 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Sep 9, 1992
Words:558
Previous Article:U.S. AIR FORCE NAVSTAR GPS SATELLITE IS McDONNELL DOUGLAS' 36TH CONSECUTIVE SUCCESSFUL LAUNCH OF A DELTA EXPENDABLE LAUNCH VEHICLE
Next Article:NATIONAL HERITAGE BOARD RECOMMENDS SHAREHOLDERS REJECT NEW TENDER OFFER
Topics:


Related Articles
MCI PROVIDES LOWEST RATES IN NEW YORK CITY CONSUMER AFFAIRS SURVEY
MCI ANNOUNCES EXTENSIVE INTERNATIONAL CALLING PLAN, 'MCI AROUND THE WORLD'
MCI AND FRITO-LAY OFFER SAVINGS CERTIFICATES -- THE NEW TASTE WORTH TALKING ABOUT --
GM MASTERCARD PROMISES TO TURN PLASTIC INTO STEEL
GM FLEXES MARKETING MUSCLE WITH LAUNCH OF GM MASTERCARD
MCI TO EXPAND DENVER OPERATION; SUCCESS OF FRIENDS & FAMILY RESULTS IN 100 NEW JOBS
MCI WINS $1 BILLION TELECOMMUNICATIONS PACT FROM IVANS, THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY'S ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK
MCI AND TOWER RECORDS/VIDEO 'OPEN' CLUB PHUSIC
MCI AND TOYS 'R' US ANSWER THE CALL FOR KIDS; MCI KIDCARD AND LEARNING GUIDE NOW AVAILABLE THROUGH TOYS 'R' US
MCI IMPLEMENTS CLIENT-SERVER FOR FRIENDS & FAMILY BRAND; MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT USED AS OPERATING SYSTEM

Terms of use | Copyright © 2016 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters