MAS Awards: nominations solicited.
* Outstanding Contributions to Science
Recognizes a member of the MAS whose research, teaching, or service to the community has significantly furthered the cause of science
* Dudley F. Peeler Outstanding Contributions to the Mississippi Academy of Sciences Award (Peeler Award)
Recognizes a member of the MAS for long-term service to the Academy itself.
* Community/Junior College Science Teacher
Recognizes a member of the MAS with outstanding accomplishment in the teaching of science at the community or junior college level
* Secondary Science Teacher
Recognizes a member of the MAS with outstanding accomplishment in the teaching of high school science
These awards recognize the exceptional contributions of fellow MAS colleagues. To nominate a current MAS member for any of these awards, please specify the award category and submit the following:
a. two supporting letters from members of the Academy having firsthand knowledge of the nominee's accomplishments
* Nominees for the Outstanding Contributions to Science should exhibit a commitment to the acquisition, dissemination, and application of scientific knowledge. An extensive research publication record by itself is not the only criterion on which nominations are considered.
* Nominees for the Peeler Award should exhibit long-term, fundamental contributions toward the advancement of the Mississippi Academy of Sciences.
* Nominations for either of the Science Teacher Awards must include a summary of the nominee's science teaching achievements as well as a summary of outstanding achievements of the nominee's students.
b. curriculum vitae of the nominee
* Include educational background, professional experience, current position and work address, and both daytime and evening phone numbers as well as any other information considered to be pertinent for a specific award.
c. additional letters of support (optional)
* Letters of recommendation from persons who are not MAS members will be accepted but are not required.
Send nominations to:
Dr. Kenneth R. Butler, Jr., Chair
MAS Awards and Resolutions Committee
219 Crescent Court
Brandon, MS 39047
If you have questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact the Chair at 601-984-4939 [office] or 601-750-7043 [mobile] or email@example.com.
DEADLINE FOR ALL NOMINATIONS IS DECEMBER 1, 2004
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Journal of the Mississippi Academy of Sciences|
|Date:||Oct 1, 2004|
|Previous Article:||President's column.|
|Next Article:||Gold booth exhibitors, 2004 annual meeting supporters of the Mississippi Academy of Sciences.|