Printer Friendly

MARITIME MEMORIES; N.Wales' seafaring heritage.

CADETS John Jones and Tudor Owen try out the cockpit controls in a Mark VII Whirlwind helicopter parked at Holyhead Sea Cadets' headquarters on November 14 1976.

Commander Peter Carmichael, the unit's commanding officer, said: "I went to the Royal Navy repair yard at Broughton, sawit and they let me have it. There were no transportation costs as a lorry was coming up to RAF Valley empty."

Originally, Holyhead Sea Cadets were to get an aircraft from RAF Sealand. But it would have cost pounds 3,900 to tranport it to Holyhead. "We couldn't get it over the Menai Suspension Bridge, so it would have had to have come by sea." said Mr Carmichael.

"But we are delighted with the helicopter. We use it for instruction and the cadets go over the controls. It could quite easily be made to fly if a few vital parts were replaced."

Do you know what happened to the helicopter? Let us know at the address on page 2

CAPTAINS of the seas... photographed on July 29 1986 on the front roware Captains WE Williams, Lord, WH Hughes, Peters and Griffiths.

On the middle roware I Pritchard, Thomas, Milburn, Rowlands, Emrys Williams, Owyn (corr) Jones, Howells, L Evans, Butterworth, Hubert Hughes.

On the back roware Ted Jones, Raymond Jones, Merrick, Parri Hughes, Ted Morris, Powell, Crane, Mason, Walter Williams and Alex Robinson.

The picture, originally from Holyhead Maritime Museum, comes from Master Mariner - Captain WilliamHenry Hughes DSC by his son-in-law, Nantlle-born Dewi B Francis (Bridge Books pounds 6.99).

The book tells the story of the remarkable career of Capt Hughes, who first went to sea aged 12, and by the time he was 18, he had been shipwrecked three times. He sailed around Cape Horn 10 times before settling on a career with the ferries operating to Ireland from Holyhead.

In June 1940, he was awarded the DSC for gallantry during the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force from Dunkirk, as captain of the requisitioned ferry HMT Scotia.

And he received two Royal Humane Society Certificates on Vellum for bravery - rescuing people from the Irish Sea.

He died in 1987, aged 100.

PROTESTERS display their Save Our Sealink banner on the quay at Holyhead port during a ferry blockade in March 1982.

The dispute began when the B+I Line announced it wanted to open a new Dublin to Holyhead route that month. Angry Sealink port workers in Holyhead feared for their livelihoods and refused to handle the B+I ship.

But the B&I vessel did appear on February 28 to be met by a blockade of small boats across the mouth of the inner harbour.

It was forced to return to Dublin having failed in attempts to carry out berthing trials.

Eventually, the repeated failure of ships to berth at Holyhead led B+I crews to take retaliatory action.

While the Connacht was returning to Dublin, a crewboarded the Irish vessel, Munster, and sailed it across Dublin Bay to Dun Laoghaire where it dropped anchor in the mouth of the harbour to prevent access to any Sealink vessel.

Capt Idwal Pritchard and his officers, on the bridge of the approaching St David, tried to break the blockade several times. Frustratingly, the St David finally had to returned to Holyhead for stores.

Next morning, the St David arrived off Dun Laoghaire only to be blocked again. This time though, it was carrying an ill passenger and the Sealink ferry was allowed through on humanitarian grounds.

On April 7, B+I's Leinster finally entered Holyhead unopposed. Reinstated members of the National Union of Railwaymen, previously been dismissed for refusing to work B+I ships, handled it at the Station Berth.

A classical Noson Llawen, which can be loosely translated as a 'joyful evening', in Llewenni Hall, Bodfari, in 1956. Those pictured include GwilymR Jones, compere Bob Owen of Croesor, Dr J Griffith Thomas, harpist Mon Jones, the Reverend Mon Jones, soloist RW Roberts and many others. Thanks to reader Dr J Gwyn Thomas, of Denbigh for loaning us this picture

Do these pictures bring back memories? Have you any photos that would interest our readers? Send any pictures you would like featured in Flashback, to the address at the bottom of this page

Send your pictures to David Powell, Flashback, Daily Post, PO Box 202, Vale Road, Llandudno Junction, Conwy, LL31 9ZD, or e-mail


This is one of several yellow beach buggies tried out by firefighters on a sand and pebble Welsh beach. These strange-looking beach spraying vehicles were the Department of the Environment's last-ditch defence against oil slick pollution on Britain's shores. District commanders and officers of Gwynedd fire service learned to handle the buggies and other inshore spraying equipment on a six-hour exercise at Dinas Dinlle beach, seven miles from Caernarfon. Similar buggies were used to spray hundreds of tonnes of crude oil streaming from tanker MV Sivand after it was damaged while docking at Immingham in September 1983. Mayor Gareth Buckley Jones watched the activities with technical staff from Anglesey, Arfon, Aberconwy and Dwyfor district councils on June 13 1984' Taking off...the RAF Valley helicopter leaves South Stack Lighthouse after dropping off a Christmas hamper in the early 1980s' Holyhead Coastguard Rescue Team members assemble on South Stack cliffs for a combined services rescue exercise on September 25 1978. Some activities were watched by Hannes Hafstein, director of the Lifesaving Association of Iceland. He was visiting this country to learn about lifesaving techniques. Volunteers in Iceland number 30,000 members - out of a 220,000-strong population - and he controlled 87 different rescue teams' Keeper Stan Booth waves goodbye to Anglesey's South Stack lighthouse after years tending the light warning ships of the island's dengerous seas. On September 12 1984 he filled in the lighthouse's log book for the last time' The wreck of the Hindlea at Moelfre on October 27 1959. The sailors were rescued by Moelfre lifeboat crew led by coxswain Dick Evans, earning him the first of two RNLI gold medals' Glenys Kinnock launches Sea Lynx in her hometown of Holyhead on July 15 1993. Mrs Kinnock, who worked on Sealink ships as a student, cracked a bottle of champagne across the bow of the 240ft Sea Lynx' The TSS Hibernia (left) and Cambria berthed at Holyhead Picture: MASTER MARINER' Children from Cwmni Drama Ysgol Dydd Sul Y Bowydd in 1930' Mold Royal Buffettes Senior Troupe from our archives
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Features
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Date:Jan 30, 2007
Previous Article:Football: Henson's boost for injury-hit Wales.
Next Article:WALES: Lib Dems call for health 'MOTs'.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters