M&A Navigator: Deal pipeline - 25 August.
The following is a list of deals covered in detail by M&A Navigator this week:
- BLOOMBERG INKS USD990M DEAL TO ACQUIRE BNA
US financial information company Bloomberg LP has struck a USD990m (EUR687m) deal to buy news publisher Bureau of National Affairs Inc (BNA) to enhance its offering in the legal information market, the companies said.
Status: Bidding, Agreed
- ACI ANNOUNCES IMPROVED OFFER TO BUY S1
US payment systems provider ACI Worldwide Inc (NASDAQ:ACIW) announced it had raised the cash portion of its takeover offer for rival S1 Corp (NASDAQ:SONE).
- FCC REQUESTS MORE INFORMATION ON AT&T'S BID FOR T-MOBILE
US telecom company AT&T (NYSE:T) announced that the Federal Communications Commission had asked for additional information regarding the giant's USD39bn (EUR27.4bn) takeover bid for T-Mobile USA Inc (ETR:DTE).
- CABOT TO SELL SUPERMETALS BUSINESS TO GAM
US speciality chemicals group Cabot Corp (NYSE:CBT) said it had agreed to sell its Supermetals unit to tantalum ore supplier Global Advanced Metals (GAM) for at least USD400m (EUR277m) in cash.
- ZYNEX SIGNS LOI TO ACQUIRE NEURODYNE MEDICAL
US non-invasive medical devices producer Zynex Inc (OTCBB:ZYXI) said it had signed an exclusive letter of intent to take over sector firm Neurodyne Medical Corp.
- WILLIS GROUP BUYS POLISH INSURANCE BROKER BCU AMA
Willis Europe BV, part of UK-based insurance broker Willis Group Holdings plc (NYSE:WSH), said it had bought Polish rival Brokerskie Centrum Ubezpieczeniowe (AMA) Sp Zoo to enhance its local presence.
- PEABODY, ARCELORMITTAL GET REGULATORY NOD IN JAPAN TO BUY MACARTHUR
Steel giant ArcelorMittal (AMS:MT) and US coal miner Peabody Energy (NYSE:BTU) received approval from Japan's Fair Trade Commission to proceed with their joint AUD4.7bn(USD4.9bn/EUR3.4bn) takeover offer for Australian coal producer Macarthur Coal (ASX:MCC).
- PHOENIX EQUITY MULLS OVER SELLING ASCO
UK private equity firm Phoenix Equity Partners is considering selling Scotland-based oil and gas logistics company Asco.
- BAXTER TO PAY USD380M FOR BAXA
US healthcare company Baxter International Inc (NYSE:BAX) said it had sealed a deal to buy pharmacy technology developer Baxa Corp for an upfront payment of USD380m (EUR263m).
- COMPASS DIVERSIFIED BUYS CONTROLLING STAKE IN CAMELBAK PRODUCTS
Compass Diversified Holdings (NYSE:CODI) announced the acquisition of an 89.9% stake in California-based Camelbak, a producer of personal hydration backpacks, for USD257.5m (EUR178.7m).
- SANOMA TO SELL BOOKSTORE BUSINESS IN FINLAND TO OTAVA
Finnish media company Sanoma Oyj (HEL:SAA1V) said that its trade division will sell its bookstore activities in Finland to Otava Ltd for an enterprise value of EUR27.5m (USD39.7m).
- US RPI TAKES OVER DUTCH GROUP PARO
US photo books and greeting cards maker RPI unveiled the takeover of Dutch sector player Paro Group BV from JP Media Group without providing any financial information.
- UK AEGIS GROUP AGREES TO BUY RUSSIA'S MASTER AD
UK marketing services and media communications company Aegis Group plc (LON:AGS) announced that it had agreed to buy the Russian outdoor advertising agency Master Ad LLC.
- SAMSUNG NOT TARGETING HP'S PC ACTIVITIES
South Korean consumer electronics maker Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (SEO:005930) said it was notA seeking to acquire the PC operations of US Hewlett-Packard Co (NYSE:HPQ), or HP.
- GILES INSURANCE BROKERS SECURES ABOUT 87% IN CBG GROUP
UK Giles Insurance Brokers Ltd, a unit of Expectrum Ltd, said it had acquired 86.75% in insurance and financial services provider CBG Group plc (LON:CB) as part of its takeover bid of GBP0.32 (USD0.52/EUR0.36) per share.
Status: Agreed, Bidding
- SWISS BLS DIVESTS OF EMMENTAL TOURS
Swiss railway company BLS (BRN:BLSN) said it had sold its tourism subsidiary Emmental Tours to municipality association Verein Region Emmental and bicycle maker Biketec.
- SAXO BANK ANNOUNCES TPG CAPITAL AS NEW SHAREHOLDER
Danish online investment bank Saxo Bank said that US investor TPG Capital will buy a 30% stake in the bank for an undisclosed amount.
- VOPAK LOOKS AT ACQUISITIONS
Dutch oil storage firm Royal Vopak (AMS:VPK) is actively pursuing potential acquisitions in a move to accelerate its international growth plans.
- 3ALITY DIGITAL BUYS S3D CAMERA RIGS SPECIALIST ELEMENT TECHNICA
US stereoscopic 3D (S3D) production technology firm 3ality Digital has taken over S3D camera rigs maker Element Technica, the buyer said in a press release.
- US TMSI UNVEILS TAKEOVER OF GRIFFIN GLOBAL LOGISTICS
US logistics provider TMSi Logistics said it had taken over third-party global supply chain company Griffin Global Logistics for an undisclosed amount.
- RTL SHOWS INTEREST IN POLISH BROADCASTER TVN
Luxembourg-based broadcasting group RTL (LUX:000007454), part of Germany's Bertelsmann (FRA:BTG4), is interested in buying a majority stake in Polish rival TVN (WAR:TVN).
- BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY GETS EC NOD TO BUY LUBRIZOL
US holding company Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE:BRK.A) won clearance from the European Commission to proceed with its USD135 (EUR93.68) per share cash offer to buy speciality chemicals company Lubrizol Corp (NYSE:LZ).
- US EUROTECH TAKES OVER FILMROOKIE.COM
US Eurotech (PINK:EUOT), a provider of solutionsA for video streaming and distribution online properties, said it had bought video network operator FilmRookie.com.
- BELGIAN BARCO UNVEILS DIGITAL CINEMA JV WITH CHINA FILM GROUP
Belgian visualisation technology company Barco (EBR:BAR) said it had established a joint venture with China Film Group to develop China's digital cinema market.
- TRANSFIRST REVEALS TAKEOVER OF SOLVERAS PAYMENT SOLUTIONS
US transaction processing services and payment technologies provider TransFirst said it had bought Virginia-based Solveras Payment Solutions, a specialist in the field of electronic payment processing services.
- SPX STRIKES GBP700M DEAL TO BUY UK CLYDEUNION PUMPS
US engineering solutions provider SPX Corporation (NYSE:SPW) said it had agreed to buy UK pump technologies specialist Clydeunion Pumps for GBP700m (USD1.1bn/EUR795m).
- BUILDING TURBINES IN TALKS TO ACQUIRE GREEN CITY DEVELOPMENT
US rooftop wind turbine maker Building Turbines (PINK:BLDW) announced it was in final talks to acquire eco-innovation company Green City Development LLC.
- CVC CAPITAL TO BUY DUTCH PAYROLL FIRM RAET
Luxembourg-based private equity firm CVC Capital Partners has agreed to buy Dutch HR software provider Raet from private equity firms Advent International and Taros Capital, the companies said without providing financial details.
- DEADLINE FOR HULU BIDS EXTENDED TO WEEK END
Interested parties have been given more time to submit indicative offers for US video website operator Hulu as the deadline has been extended until the end of the week.
- SCHNEIDER ELECTRIC'S OFFER FOR TELVENT TO EXPIRE ON 30 AUG
French power equipment maker Schneider Electric (EPA:SU) said it had amended the deadline for its USD40 (EUR27.76) per share tender offer to buy Spanish infrastructure software maker Telvent (NASDAQ:TLVT) to expire on 30 August instead of on 12 September as planned previously.
Status: Bidding, Agreed
- PLATO LEARNING OUTBIDS PERMIRA IN RACE FOR RENAISSANCE LEARNING
US high-value education technology solutions provider Plato Learning has placed an unsolicited rival bid of USD15.50 (EUR10.75) per share in cash to buy computer-based assessment technology provider Renaissance Learning (NASDAQ:RLRN), trumping private equity firm Permira's USD14.85 per share offer.
- GT ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES BUYS CONFLUENCE SOLAR
US polysilicon production technology provider GT Advanced Technologies (NASDAQ: GTAT) announced the acquisition of privately-held Confluence Solar, a manufacturer of single crystal silicon substrates for the solar photovoltaic industry, for USD60m (EUR41.6m) in cash.
- NCR CLOSES RADIANT BUY
US technology company NCR Corp (NYSE:NCR) said it had completed the acquisition of Alpharetta, Georgia-based technology solutions provider Radiant Systems (NASDAQ:RADS) for some USD1.2bn (EUR832m) in cash.
- JSW TO BUY 85% IN POLISH COKE MAKER VICTORIA
Polish coking coal producer JSW announced an agreement to buy an 85% stake in state-held coke maker Victoria, without revealing the exact purchase price.
- MILLENNIUM HEALTHCARE SIGNS LOI TO BUY PREMIER TECHNOLOGY RESOURCES
US medical technology and healthcare services firm Millennium HealthCare (PINK:MHCC) said it had entered into a letter of intent (LoI) to buy sector player Premier Technology Resources.
- NORWAYa[euro](tm)S RIEBER TO OFFER USD5.72 P/S TO BUY ALL OF RIEBER SHIPPING
Norwegian industrial and shipping group GC Rieber AS has abandoned its plan to merge with GC Rieber Shipping ASA (OSL:RISH) and now intends to make a bid of NOK31 (USD5.72/EUR3.96) aA share to take full ownership of the listed company.
- MELROSE WANTS MORE TIME TO MAKE OFFER FOR CHARTER
UK manufacturing buyout firm Melrose (LON:MRO) has asked its takeover target Charter International (LON:CHTR) for a longer period to make a firm offer.
- GLENCORE TO OFFER USD0.91 P/S FOR REST OF MINARA RESOURCES
Swiss commodities trader Glencore (LON:GLEN) said it plans to make an off-market cash takeover bid of AUD0.87 (USD0.91/EUR0.63) per share for the shares in Australian nickel producer Minara Resources (ASX:MRE) it does not already own.
- POLAND HALTS SALE OF PKO BP INTEREST
Poland's treasury ministry has suspended the planned sale of its 15% stake in the country's largest bank PKO Bank Polski SA (WAR:PKO) due to recent turbulence on the financial markets.
- US OMNICARE OFFERS USD716M FOR PHARMERICA
US pharmaceutical company Omnicare Inc (NYSE:OCR) said that it had offered to buy institutional pharmacy services provider PharMerica Corp (NYSE:PMC) for USD15 (EUR10.35) per share in cash or USD716m in total, including net debt.
- H&R BLOCK TO SELL RSM TO MCGLADREY & PULLEN FOR USD610M
US tax service provider H&R Block (NYSE:HRB) said it had signed a non-binding letter of intent (LoI) to dispose of its consulting business RSM McGladrey to accounting services firm McGladrey & Pullen (M&P) for USD610m (EUR422m).
- SBERBANK MOOTS ACQUISITIONS IN CEE
Russian state-run bank Sberbank (MCX:SBER03) said it is exploring takeover opportunities on the central and eastern European market, including in Poland.
- TALANX CONFIRMS INTEREST IN POLISH INSURER WARTA
German insurance group Talanx is interested in a possible acquisition of Belgian banking and insurance group KBC's (EBR:KBC) Polish insurance unit Warta SA once its auction officially starts.
- CRYO-SAVE CONSIDERS NON-EUROPEAN ACQUISITIONS
Dutch stem-cell bank Cryo-Save Group (AMS:CRYO) is interested in buying companies operating outside [ETH]*urope.
- AF GRUPPEN TO TAKE CONTROL OF DR TECHN OLAV OLSEN
Norwegian builder AF Gruppen (OSL:AFG) announced it had signed a letter of intent (LoI) to buy at least 51% in structural engineering firm Dr Techn Olav Olsen AS.
- SANOFI'S AVENTIS PHARMA NEARS BUY OF INDIAN UNIVERSAL MEDICARE'S OTC BUSINESS
India-based Aventis Pharma (BOM:500674), part of French drugmaker Sanofi (EPA:SAN), is nearing the takeover of the over-the-counter (OTC) business of Universal Medicare for an estimated price of some INR5bn (USD109.5m/EUR75.6m).
- CONVATEC'S RIVAL OFFER VALUES KINETIC CONCEPTS AT USD6BN
A rival takeover bid for US medical technology company Kinetic Concepts (NYSE:KCI) from Avista Capital Partners' medical technology unit Convatec has an estimated value of SEK40bn (USD6.3bn/EUR4.4bn).
- BARNES GETS BINDING OFFER BY BERNER FOR BDE OPERATIONS
US-based logistic services group Barnes (NYSE:B) said it had been approached with a binding takeover offerA by German consumables and tools seller Berner for its Barnes Distribution Europe (BDE) businesses.
- HSBC OPENS UP BOOKS ON CANADIAN BROKERAGE TO POTENTIAL BUYERS
British banking group HSBC Holdings (LON:HSBA) has provided possible bidders with access to the books on its Canadian retail brokerage.
- TALKS ON POPOLARE'S AGOS STAKE SALE TO AGRICOLE PUT ON HOLD
Discussions concerning the partial sale of Italian Banco Popolarea[euro](tm)s (BIT:BP) stake in the Agos Ducato joint venture to Credit Agricole (EPA:ACA) have been put on hold due to the French partya[euro](tm)s international problems.
- APOLLO SAID TO MAKE OFFER FOR 99 CENTS ONLY STORES
US private equity firm Apollo Global Management (NASDAQ:APO) is preparing a takeover offer for discount chain 99 Cents Only Stores (NYSE:NDN).
- GERMANY'S GOVERNMENT IN DISPUTE OVER SALE OF DAIMLER'S STAKE IN EADS
Germanya[euro](tm)s government is mulling whether state-controlled development bank KfW should take the stake held by carmaker Daimler AG (ETR:DAI) in European aerospace and defence group EADS (EPA:EAD).
- UNICREDIT SAID TO SELL RUSSIAN MUTUAL FUNDS
Italian financial group UniCredit (BIT:UCG) may dispose of its three mutual investment funds in Russia and exit the local asset management market.
- TPG CAPITAL REPORTEDLY IN TALKS TO TAKE MINORITY IN INDIAN SPICEJET
US private equity firm TPG Capital is negotiating theA acquisition of a minority stake in India-based low-cost airline SpiceJet (BOM:500285).
- MEDIANEWS FACES DELAY IN DEAL WITH FREEDOM COMMUNICATIONS
US newspaper publisher MediaNews has postponed plans to buy newspapers from rival Freedom Communications due to financing problems.
- SAMSUNG C&T MULLS OVER BUYING US PARALLEL PETROLEUM
South Korean trading firm Samsung C&T (SEO:000830) unveiled plans to acquire US oil and gas company Parallel Petroleum in a move to tap the oil, natural gas and mineral resources markets.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||M & A Navigator|
|Date:||Aug 25, 2011|
|Previous Article:||Bloomberg inks USD990m deal to acquire BNA.|
|Next Article:||Nyrstar completes tender offer for Breakwater Resources buy.|