Lunch Ideas for Back to School.
1. When possible, avoid purchasing processed foods and snacks for your child's lunch. For example, substitute store-bought potato chips for homemade, and make a batch on Sunday to be use for lunches throughout the week. Slice potatoes thinly, then season and bake for 8 to 15 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
2. Take children along when grocery shopping; this gives them the opportunity to learn how to shop for healthy food and pick out some of their own lunch items.
3. Pack your children's lunches with them the night before; this will give you time to go slowly and teach them how to pack a healthy lunch while avoiding the morning rush.
4. The classic sandwich and potato chips is a go-to crowd pleaser, but it might not do much for your child's growing body. Keep every lunch balanced; be sure to include grains, fruits, veggies, meats, and healthy fats in your child's lunch.
5. Keep your child hydrated by allowing them to pick out their very own water bottle; encourage them to drink the whole thing twice while they're at school. If they don't like the taste of plain water, spruce it up by throwing in chunks of frozen fruit.
6. If you feel overwhelmed at the thought of packing a healthy lunch for your child every night or morning, consider prepping snacks or entire lunches over the weekend. You can portion out snacks and chop veggies ahead of time so assembling lunch the morning of will be that much easier.
* Turkey and cheese on a whole grain pita, baby carrots, grapes
* Goat cheese and strawberry sandwich on a small cinnamon raisin bagel, a clementine, sugar snap peas.
* Star tuna sandwiches: tuna salad between whole grain bread, cut into a star shape with a cookie cutter, with blueberries and red bell pepper strips.
* Brown rice, shredded chicken, and peas in a small thermos, sliced strawberries
* Simple chicken noodle soup (heat rotisserie chicken, broth, whole grain pasta, and veggies for 15 minutes), apple slices and natural peanut butter
SOURCES: Lunch for A Month! Parents Magazine site, http://www.parents.com/recipes/familyrecipes/lunch/celebrity-chef-kid-lunches/. Accessed September 1,2017; Tips for packing a health school lunch. CookSmarts site. http://www.cooksmarts.com/articles/tips-packing-healthy-school-lunch/. Accessed September 1, 2017.
by Julia E. Eckert
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Author:||Eckert, Julia E.|
|Publication:||Nutrition Health Review|
|Date:||Jun 22, 2017|
|Previous Article:||TURMERIC: The "Golden Spice" May Not Be the Miracle Spice After All.|
|Next Article:||Does Smoking Really Lead To Skin Cancer? Here's The Theory.|