Lubricants and processing aids: product lines reviewed.
See Meter-Mix Inc.
ACCURATE COLOR INC.
Offers a full line of lubricant powder, pellet, and liquid dispersions, which can function as slip and antiblock agents, mold releases, pigment dispersants, and gloss modifiers. They can be compounded with other additives as required.
ADELL PLASTICS, INC.
Proprietary concentrates of silicone fluids are available for all thermoplastic materials. The concentrates are said to improve mold release, reduce overall cycle time, reduce rejects, and improve part wear and bearing properties. Company also offers multifunctional concentrates.
Vegetable and petroleum waxes, calcium and zinc stearates, and silicone fluids are available under the Akrochem name.
AKZO CHEMICALS, INC.
Offers Armoslip slip agents that reportedly add not only slip and antiblock characteristics, but also serve as internal mold releases. Products are said to speed molding and extrusion, and give products a smooth surface, high gloss, and close conformity to mold details. These high-molecular-weight fatty acid amides dissolve in resins at processing temperatures but migrate to the surface of finished products as the resins cool.
Company's Interstab G-8257 is an internal/external lubricant for rigid and semirigid PVC, ABS, PS, acetals, and polyolefins. Interstab G-140 is a fatty acid ester serving primarily as an internal lubricant for clear rigid PVC. Interstab CA-18-1 calcium stearate and Interstab ZN-18-1 zinc stearate are suggested for PVC, PS, and polyesters. These products are said to be suitable for food-contact uses.
AKZO ENGINEERING PLASTICS
Offers silicone concentrates in 15-20% loadings for use with ABS, acetal, nylon 6, 66, and 612, polycarbonate, PBT polyester, PP, PE, PS and SAN.
Company also produces Wil-Lube concentrates of stearates or other lubricants in a multipurpose resin compatible with a variety of thermoplastics, including vinyls, polyolefins, styrenics, acrylics, cellulosics, polyesters and nylons. They are nonstaining, noncorrosive, and low in volatility.
ALKARIL CHEMICALS INC.
Produces a complete line of plastic lubricants and release agents, trademarked Alkalube. The line includes glyceryl, simple, and complete esters that function as internal, external, or intermediate lubricants and flow modifiers for rigid PVC, polycarbonates, phenolics, acrylics, and nylons.
ALLIED PRODUCTS CORP.
See Coz Div.
Company's A-C polyethylenes and copolymers are low-molecular-weight, ethylene-based polymers that can be used as lubricants, flow modifiers, release aids, and dispersion aids. Products reportedly improve the release properties of thermoplastic resins, increase output, improve the surface quality of the finished product, control melt temperature, increase thermal stability, reduce machine torque, and decrease power consumption. They are also said to have the ability to wet and disperse inert materials such as pigments, carbon black, flame retardants, and fillers.
AMERICAN INGREDIENTS CO.
See PATCO Polymer Additives Div.
Produces specialty lubricant concentrates for most thermoplastics. These concentrates reportedly improve wear resistance and mold release, reduce war-page and rejects, lower material and energy costs, make finishing easier, and reduce tool wear. They are available in cubes, pellets or as powders, and are offered alone or in a multifunctional concentrate incorporating other additives and colors as specified.
ANZON LEAD SYNTHETIC PRODUCTS CO.
Lubricants for PVC include:
* Plastiflow LPC, a lead/calcium soap serving as a costabilizer/lubricant for rigid compounds. It wets fillers and reduces fusion time.
* Plastiflow CW-2, an internal lubricant for rigids, especially those with higher filler loadings. This ester wax reportedly improves impact strength and does not affect heat-distortion temperature.
* DS-207, a costabilizer/lubricant for rigid and flexible PVC. It is a dibasic lead stearate and is used in conjunction with lead primary heat stabilizers.
* Leadstar lubricant for rigid and flexible PVC. It is a normal lead stearate used in conjunction with primary lead stabilizers.
See Witco Corp.
ASTOR WAX CORP.
Produces lubricating waxes, both petroleum (paraffin) wax and synthetic-wax based in conjunction with Huls AG. Oxidized lubricants include:
* Vestowax C-60 external synthetic lubricant for smooth, glossy surfaces.
* Vestowax AS-1550 PE wax containing a calcium soap, essentially internal acting.
* Loobwax 0598 low-cost, pure ester wax for internal lubrication of plastic resins.
* Loobwax 0651 PE for high-shear applications. Usually used with a paraffin wax. Meets PPI TR3/4 requirements. NSF approved.
* Loobwax 0682 ester-based, internal lubricant for replacing or extending more costly synthetic ester waxes.
* Loobwax 0761 esterfied, oxidized PE wax.
Nonoxidized lubricants include:
* Loobwax 0597 intermediate paraffin wax generically known as 165 wax. Used singly or in combination with other Loobwaxes. Meets PPI TR3/4 requirements. NSF approved.
* Loobwax 0605 synthetic hydrocarbon and paraffin waxes for higher shear application.
* Loobwax 0740 synthetic hydrocarbon-based wax for single-screw extrusion.
Combination lubricants include:
* Comboloob 0609 balanced synthetic and hydrocarbon wax system for processing under moderate to high temperature and shear conditions. NSF approved.
* Comboloob 0856 high-grade saturated hydrocarbon providing internal and external lubrication through its captive metal stearate and wide range of component melting points.
* Comboloob 0827 for promoting impact resistance by aiding and controlling fusion.
* Comboloob 0827/1 combination PE wax with Comboloob 0827.
AXEL PLASTICS RESEARCH LABORATORIES INC.
Mold Wiz internal molding lubricants contain no silicone, no wax and no stearates. These nonexuding additives are mixed directly into thermoplastics, thermosets and rubbers at levels of 0.1-1% by weight. Spray-on releases, flow marks and buildup are eliminated. Resin flow is said to be increased with better surface wetting; faster cycles at lower temperatures and antistatic properties are also reported benefits. Molds remain clean; no solvent vapors are released to the atmosphere. Molded parts are ready for painting, bonding or metallizing without degreasing. A full line of Mold Wiz products is offered, some of which are FDA-approved.
BASF CORP. CHEMICALS DIV.
Offers its new line of polyethylene and montan waxes called Luwax, which are designed for use as lubricating, wetting and mold-release agents. In extrusion they reportedly allow for control over plastication time and maximum torque. They are also said to reduce tack and improve gloss of finished products. When used in film processes, these waxes reportedly reduce tack without affecting film transparency and do not plate out.
BUCKMAN LABORATORIES, INC.
Company's Busperse 47 is a dimethyl amide of an unsaturated fatty acid that functions as a lubricant in extrusion processes and as a pigment dispersant and viscosity depressant in many resins.
Manufactures a wide variety of release agents and specialty lubricants for all types of plastic molding where a release agent is required.
THE CARBORUNDUM CO. BORON NITRIDE DIV.
Boron nitride, which has a structure similar to graphite, is a specialty multifunctional additive available in various mesh sizes. It adds lubricity and can serve as an extrusion processing aid. Unlike graphite, it is electrically insulating rather than conductive.
CARDINAL CAROLINA CORP.
Paraffin wax, calcium stearate and blends of wax/stearate are offered. C-Wax 100 is for PVC extrusion. S-Waxes 1, 2, 3, and 4 are blends of C-Wax 100 and calcium stearate. S-Wax 3 is 50% paraffin wax and 50% calcium stearate. Oxidized PE can also be added if desired. All products can be supplied as flakes or prills.
Provides an extensive line of internal/external lubricants produced from castor-oil fatty acids. The hydroxyl group on the fatty portion of the molecule improves dispersibility, compatibility, and wetting of pigments, dyes and other additives.
Paricin 285 and 220 are amide waxes recommended for use in ABS and PVC molding and extrusion. Added at levels of 0.5-1%, they are said to provide internal/external lubrication, improve gloss, and act as antistats.
Lubricin 25 reportedly improves processing of rigid PVC during calendering and injection molding. Added at levels of 0.3-5%, Lubricin 25 improves gloss.
Offers a line of dry powder (unitized or bulk packaged) or pelletized concentrates containing lubricants and other additives for use in commodity or engineering thermoplastics.
CIVIERA & SILVER INT'L. INC. (CSI)
Offers zinc and calcium stearates for use as lubricants and pigment dispersants for the manufacture of color concentrates and dry colors. Also available is a clear-melting zinc stearate for use in crystal polystyrene.
CLIMAX MOLYBDENUM CO. UNIT OF AMAX INC.
Molysulfide, Amax's trademark for molybdenum disulfide is a solid lubricant supplied in three grades: technical, technical fine and super fine. It is used in nylon, acetal, phenolics, PTFE, epoxy and other resins at loadings of 2 to 40%. Although its prime function is to modify external friction and enhance wear properties of the base resin, Molysulfide is also used to give internal lubrication and improve the physical and mechanical properties of many resin systems.
COZ DIV. ALLIED PRODUCTS CORP.
Concentrates containing lubricants and heat and light stabilizers can be supplied in PS, polyolefins and most other thermoplastics.
CRODA UNIVERSAL, INC.
Company's polymer additives include Crodamide and Syncrolube lubricants for slip, antiblock, and mold release for polyolefins, PS, nylon, ABS, and PVC.
The Syncrolube family of lubricant additives are widely used in plasticized and rigid PVC. Crodamide products are used in polyolefins as slip, antiblock and mold-release additives.
Crodamides are a line of fatty acid amides, which include primary amides (erucamide, oleamide, and stearamide), secondary amides (stearyl and oleyl erucamide, etc.), and tertiary amides (N,N-dimethylamides). Also available is a line of Crodamides with superior thermal stability for use where process temperature does not allow for the use of conventional lubricants. Recent developments include Crodamide lubricant additives for thermoplastic elastomers, as well as for various engineering resins, alloys and blends. Company also supplies processing aids, surface treatments and hydrophobic wetting agents.
CUSTOM COMPOUNDING INC.
Offers its series of PTFE powders (Polylube J) for thermoplastics and thermosets. Grades range in particle size from less than 2 microns to 75 microns, in a variety of shapes (filaments, irregular, and round). When added to a resin, Polylube J serves as a processing aid. It aids flow in molding and reportedly eliminates die buildup in extrusion. PTFE's most significant property for plastics applications is its low-friction characteristics. When added at 5-20% levels, Polylube J is said to improve wear, rub resistance and slip properties dramatically.
DEER POLYMER CORP.
Distributes a complete line of metallic stearates: zinc, calcium, sodium, magnesium, aluminum, lithium, lead and cadmium. Many of these products meet FDA requirements for food contact. Magnesium, zinc and calcium grades meet USP.
DOW CORNING CORP.
Compounded in small amounts into a resin system, silicone fluids, such as Dow Corning 200 Fluid, reduce friction and wear of parts fabricated of most thermoplastics and increase their load-speed capabilities. The same additives reportedly improve release without spray-on release agents, facilitate automatic operation, and increase output rates. Additional benefits are said to include reduced warpage, fewer rejects, and savings in release-agent costs.
DU PONT CO.
A line of six Teflon fluoro-additives that increase lubricity and wear resistance of thermoplastics and elastomers has been introduced by company's Specialty Polymers Div. The new Teflon MP 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400 and 1500 grades are said to show an unusual degree of color, particle size and property consistency. Unlike previous Teflon fluoro-additives, the new additives reportedly do not agglomerate and thus are more easily dispersible. One reportedly unique property of the Teflon MP 1500 grade is that it can increase the tear resistance of elastomers. At use levels of 20 phr, it reportedly increases the tear resistance of silicone rubber two to three times. The additives, which come in white powders, have similar chemical and temperature resistance and low coefficient of friction. However, each has a slightly different molecular weight and particle size (from 1 to 50 microns). (See also Mold-Release Agents.)
EASTMAN CHEMICAL PRODUCTS
Epolene waxes, low-molecular-weight polyolefins and glycerol monostearates, are offered as extrusion lubricants for rigid PVC. They are also useful as processing and mold-release lubricants for such polymers as ABS, polyesters, polycarbonates, nylons, polybutylenes and PE.
EMERY GROUP DIV. OF HENKEL CORP.
Manufactures a wide range of glycerol fatty esters as either internal or external lubricants for PBT or PET polyesters and PVC formulations. Supplied in solid and liquid forms, these products are said to help increase production rates, reduce melt temperatures, and reduce power consumption.
Company also markets Emerwax 9380 erucamide. It provides slip/antiblock properties for use in PE and PP and may also be used as a mold-release agent. Products are said to exhibit good heat stability and exceptionally low odor.
FERRO CORP., PLASTICS COLORANTS & DISPERSIONS DIV.
Several additives can be incorporated in company's Spectraflo liquid dispersions, primarily internal mold releases. Silicone and nonsilicone products are offered for polyolefins, styrenics and nylon parts. Calcium, aluminum and zinc stearates are offered as internal lubricants for nylon.
Offers silicone mold-release additives for molded plastics.
GLS PLASTICS DIV., GREAT LAKES TERMINAL & TRANSPORT
Markets a complete line of stearate lubricants for thermoplastics compounding. Included are calcium, zinc, aluminum, magnesium, and barium stearates.
GARLOCK INC. PLASTOMER PRODUCTS
Offers PTFE powders to reduce friction and improve antistick properties.
W.R. GRACE & CO. ORGANIC CHEMICALS DIV.
Company's Daxad dispersing agents are extensively used in the emulsion polymerization of synthetic polymers, and in preparing dispersions of materials such as antioxidants or pigments, which are commonly added to synthetic rubber and polymer emulsions.
C.P. HALL CO.
Manufactures a full line of fatty acid esters that act as internal lubricants, antistats, antifogging agents and defoamers. Polyethylene waxes, metallic stearates, silicone fluids, and emulsions are also offered.
HALSTAB DIV. HAMMOND LEAD PRODUCTS INC.
Offers two lead-based lubricants, Hal-Lub-N and Hal-Lub-D, for PVC wire and cable, extruded profiles, and molding compounds.
HARWICK CHEMICAL CORP.
Line of external and internal lubricants for rubber and plastics includes:
* Silicones--a complete line of fluids, emulsions, and specialties for all release applications.
* Low-molecular-weight PE--complete range of products in pellets, powders, and emulsions.
* Stearic acid.
* Metallic stearates.
* Glycerides--a complete line of slip, antistatic, and antifog properties.
* Powdered fluoropolymers for low-friction compounds.
* A family of proprietary mold-release treatments for thermoplastic materials called Lubrex Mold Releases.
Other lubricants include various esters, amorphous polypropylene, fatty acids, petrolatum, and PTFE powders.
HENKEL CORP. CHEMICALS SPECIALTIES DIV.
An extensive line of ester wax additives is offered, including the following internal lubricants:
* Glycerol esters for costabilizing effect and flow.
* Simple esters, such as the Loxiol G-30 series for thermal stability, low water sensitivity, and replacement of amide waxes.
* Partial esters of polyfunctional alcohols, such as Loxiol HOB 7121 for balancing properties of ester internal lubricants.
* Polymeric polyfunctional alcohol fatty acid compounds for metal release and as economical replacements for montan esters.
Most of the line reportedly has FDA approval for use with food and imparts good clarity to transparent articles, such as vacuum formable blister-pack sheet and bottles. Applications are in PVC, rigid molded pipe fittings, extruded PVC siding, window and door frames, and high-speed wire and cable extrusion. Although primarily designed for rigid PVC, these products may be used in semi-rigid and flexible PVC, polycarbonates, phenolics, acrylics and nylons. Advantages are said to include good printability, water-blush resistance, reduction of die swell, prevention of sinks in injection molding, superior melt flow, lower plateout and improved compatibility.
HIMONT U.S.A., INC.
New Xantrix Additive Delivery System incorporates up to 30% by weight of liquid or low-melting additives within a spherical PP granule. This is done by an in-reactor process that does not involve extrusion compounding. The result is that the PP carrier resin (20 MFR) has lower crystallinity and therefore melts faster for easier dispersion, according to the company. Custom-formulated Xantrix ADS concentrates in quantities as low as 70 lb may contain lubricating oils, slip agents, and other additives.
HOECHST CELANESE CORP. WAX DEPT.
A complete line of PVC lubricants, including multifunctional types, is offered. New products are Hostalub 4401, a multicomponent, ester-based lubricant system for bottle, profile and siding applications, and Hostalub XL 950, a synthetic-based lubricant system for wire and cable, and other flexible and rigid PVC applications. For engineering resins, company offers multifunctional montanates such as Hostalub VP NaW1 and CaW2.
HUMKO CHEMICAL DIV.
See Witco Chemical Corp.
ICI POLYMER ADDITIVES
Atmer 129 and 1010 internal lubricants promote polymer flow through the extruder, increasing thermal and color stability and giving better processing latitude. A 1-2 phr addition reportedly results in 10-20% reduction in fusion torque, reducing shear, dwell time and heat build-up. Equilibrium times are lengthened three- to eight-fold, providing improved thermal stability and a wider processing window.
INOLEX CHEMICAL CO.
Produces a wide variety of monoester, diester, and polyester lubricants for use in thermoplastics and in natural and synthetic elastomers. A wide range of products offers broad ranges in viscosities, melt points, volatilities and lubricant properties in polymer and nonpolymer products. Custom high-performance products are made on a proprietary basis.
KENRICH PETROCHEMICALS INC.
Company's titanate coupling agents are said to be highly effective lubricants at use levels below about 2% of filler content. In filled systems they reportedly cut need for processing lubricants by 75-90%. Titanate and zirconate coupling agents are also said to increase flow of unfilled polymers.
Company also supplies Kenplast ESB, cumyl phenol benzoate, a solid processing aid said to improve molding and extrusion characteristics and to enhance physical properties of the finished product. It is used in PVC extrusion, RIM urethanes, and nylon processing.
Offers a broad line of fatty-based, internal and external lubricants for plastics. Most are used at low levels (around 0.5-2 phr), and many are approved for food-contact applications. Major types available are:
* Bisamide waxes--Acrawax C, Glycolubes, and Glyconol are used for extruding and molding PVC, ABS, polyurethanes, nylons, and other engineering thermoplastics. The Glycolube family finds applications as internal/external lubricants, mold-release, antifog and antistats for many polymers.
* Proprietary products, such as Glycolube P and TS, are suggested for engineering resins and polymer alloys. Glycolube PG and the Vinylubes are used in PVC bottles, sheets, and profiles when clarity and throughput are critical. (See also Mold-Release Agents.)
MALLINCKRODT INC. CHEMICAL DIV.
High-purity metallic stearates are supplied for use as internal/external lubricants in the following areas:
* Hy Dense Calcium Stearate HP granular and RSN powder for efficient rigid PVC pipe and PVC siding lubrication.
* Calcium Stearate RSN 248D for clean neutralization of residual catalysts in polyolefins.
* Magnesium Stearate RSN 1-1 for lubricating all ABS resins.
* Zinc Stearate RSN 131 HS for superior clarity/color stability in crystal PS.
* Hy Dense Zinc Stearate XM powder for low viscosity and good mold release in polyester SMC and BMC.
* Hy Dense Zinc Ultrafine as a dispersion, and for color concentrates.
METER-MIX, INC. SUB. ACCUMETRIC INC.
Supplies silicone fluid lubricants, which are said to enhance resin moldability, decrease stress marks, and improve finish of molded parts.
M. MICHEL AND CO. INC.
Cachalot Plastics Additive S-53T3 is a higher-alcohol-based extrusion, casting, and calendering aid designed primarily for flexible PVC to prevent plastic from sticking to molds and dies.
MORTON INTERNATIONAL, INC. INDUSTRIAL CHEMICALS/ADDITIVES
Company's Advawax processing lubricants, slip, and antiblocking agents are supplied for use in ABS, PVC, PS, and other polymers. The bisamide waxes include Advawax 240, 280, and 290, which are FDA-approved for food packaging. Advawax 140 is a flaked ester also FDA-approved. Advapack multifunctional additives offer a balanced blend of lubricants for pipe extrusion, siding and profile extrusions and molded fittings.
NORAC CO. INC.
Provides both precipitated and modified fusion-process metallic stearates: aluminum octoate, aluminum stearate, barium stearate, calcium stearate, lithium stearate, magnesium stearate, sodium stearate, and zinc stearate (including clear melt, polymer, and granular types).
Specialty colorant concentrates, in either solid or liquid form and with or without special additives, are available containing silicones, fillers, antioxidants, uv stabilizers, fire retardants, blowing agents, slip agents or antistats. Company has production and laboratory facilities at 12 locations in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
PATCO POLYMER ADDITIVES DIV. AMERICAN INGREDIENTS CO.
Offers a wide range of glycerol esters for lubrication of PVC and as antifogs, antistats and antiblocks in many polymers. Distilled mono glycerides are offered in various physical forms: fine beads (Pationic 900, 901 and 902), very fine beads (Pationic 909), and a semi-solid (Pationic 907).
Mono/di stearates are also available in several forms: fine flakes (Pationic 1042 and 0152), beads (Pationic 1042B and 1052B), and semi-solids (Pationic 1064 and 1074).
Glycerol tristearate can be obtained as a fine flake (Pationic 1019) or a fine bead (Pationic 919).
PENRECO DIV. PENNZOIL PRODUCTS CO.
Company offers petrolatum as an external lubricant. Food and cosmetic grades are available. (See also Plasticizers.)
PETROLITE SPECIALTY POLYMERS GROUP
Manufactures microcrystalline waxes and synthetic polymers as lubricants, mold-release agents, dispersing aids in color concentrates, nucleating agents (EPS), and antiblocks (PP film) for thermoplastic resins. Microcrystalline waxes are derived from petroleum and are high-molecular-weight mixtures of straight and branched-chain hydrocarbons with melting points from 170 to 200 F. Many are suitable for food contact.
Company offers Polywax PE waxes: low-molecular-weight, high-density, crystalline polymers. Melting points range from 185 to 260 F. Many reportedly meet FDA requirements and have been used to improve EPS appearance, and to optimize cost/performance of rigid PVC pipe. Zylac lubricants for rigid PVC may lower the cost per linear foot of pipe and profile extrusions.
Vybar polymers are low-melting (125-165 F) hydrocarbons used as modifiers for paraffin wax, as mold-release agents, and as lubricants in rigid PVC.
Provides specialty additive concentrates in powder or pellet form:
* CR5 is recommended for use in PP to reduce viscosity, increase melt-flow rates, and allow for decreased process temperatures and reduced cycle times during molding at use levels of 0.25-1.0%.
* RZ40 is recommended for nylons, ABS and PS. It is said to develop excellent mold-release properties and lubrication at use levels of 0.5-1.0%.
* RE40 is for PP, PE and EVA, and reportedly functions to reduce mold sticking and improve part release at use levels of 0.5-1.0%.
* PA10FP is a 10% active fluoroelastomer concentrate specifically developed for use in LLDPE film applications.
Custom lubricant and processing-aid concentrates are available, containing as much as 60% additive.
ROGER A. REED INC.
Manufactures synthetic wax internal lubricants and mold releases.
Offers a broad line of internal/external lubricants made from castor oil fatty acids. Also offers silicone mold-release additives for molded parts.
SHEREX CHEMICAL CO.
Offers various fatty acid, alcohol, and amide lubricants. Hydrofol fatty acids are used as internal and external lubricants and mold-release agents in PVC, ABS, phenolics, polyesters, and PS. Adol fatty alcohols and Adogen fatty amides are also used as internal and external lubricants.
See Witco Corp.
SPECIALTY PRODUCTS CO.
Offers a broad line of external mold-release agents/lubricants for reinforced molders. Internal release/lubricant processing aids for layup, SMC, BMC and pultrusion eliminate the need for costly application molding. Company has introduced a new system of semi-permanent releases and mold sealers for RTM, filament winding and press molding.
STEPAN CO. INDUSTRIAL CHEMICALS DEPT.
Drewplast glycerol and partial glycerol esters are primarily internal lubricants for rigid PVC that promote fusion and lower melt viscosity. They are said to exhibit excellent thermal stability and resist hydrolysis. They have either FDA food-additive or food-adjunct status.
Drewplast polyoxyethylene products are external lubricants and reportedly have antistatic and moisture-coalescing (antifogging) properties, particularly in PVC food wraps. Products have either FDA food-additive or food-adjunct status.
Kessco butoxyethyl stearate (BES) is utilized as an external lubricant in audio, video and computer tapes.
The Polydis TR line of performance chemicals is designed to improve dispersion and reduce energy consumption in polymer processing. They act as wetting agents, internal and external lubricants, and proprietary modifiers, depending on the polymer system. Polydis TR 016, TR 041 and TR 071 are fatty acid derivatives designed for use with colorants, fillers and flame retardants. They function by hydrogen bonding, lubrication and occupation of free volume. All add to increase polymer compound interaction. Polydis TR 060 and TR 065 have wide solubility parameters and physical properties designed to cut process times and improve dispersion during polymer mixing. These materials use their solubility and shear transfer properties to improve surface appearance, dispersion and physicals of compound materials. Uses include polymer alloys and dissimilar blends such as those present in recycling. Polydis TR 121 and TR 131 are primary fatty amides used as slip agents and antiblocks.
SYNTHETIC PRODUCTS CO.
A complete line of Synpro metallic stearate lubricants is offered with grades tailored for specific plastics applications:
* For PVC (flexible and rigid), Calcium Stearate type 15, Calcium Stearate 24-46, Synpro-Flo 15F, and Synpro-Flo 92. The Synpro-Flo lubricants are said to be easily dispersed, low-dusting, high-bulk, granular products.
* For ABS, Magnesium Stearate 90.
* For HDPE and LLDPE, Calcium Stearate 24-46 and Synpro-Flo 91.
* For PP, Calcium Stearate 114-36, Synpro-Flo 91, and Calcium Stearate GP.
* For PS (impact and expandable), Zinc Stearate ACF.
* For crystal PS, Zinc Stearate Type 8.
* For polyester, Zinc Stearate ABG, Zinc Stearate FRP, and Zinc Stearate GP. Zinc Stearate XRP is a mold-release agent for reinforced plastics, featuring more efficient release, improved surface, more rapid wet-out, lower mix viscosity, and improved handling characteristics.
* For phenolics, Calcium Stearate Type 12.
* For melamine, Zinc Stearate ACF.
Company also manufactures the Metasap line of metallic stearates, formerly sold by Diamond Shamrock's Process Chemicals Div.:
* Calcium Stearate LD is a high-purity product offered for polypropylene.
* Calcium Stearate PG is a plastics-grade stearate for many applications, including PVC, and is NSF approved.
* Zinc Stearate HS is a heat-stable grade designed for polystyrene.
* Zinc Stearate 81 and 82 are high-density lubricants for polyester SMC and BMC and other plastics.
Magnesium stearate and calcium stearate food grades are also available. (See also Mold-Release Agents.)
Offers its Thermolube line of processing-aid concentrates for use with all thermoplastics, from PS to PPS. Advantages are said to include faster cycle times, better mold release, lower energy consumption due to lower stock temperatures, and cycle-time reductions of over 10%. Products are also reported to be more economical than aerosol spray release agents.
3M CO. INDUSTRIAL CHEMICALS DIV.
Dynamar fluorocarbon elastomer processing aids ease extrusion and blow molding of LLDPE, HMW-HDPE, PP, PET, EVA and PVC. They are recommended for use in small amounts, and at typical levels of use (250-1000 ppm). They are said to improve processing without altering or detracting from mechanical properties associated with high-strength plastics.
TIOXIDE AMERICA INC.
Supplies the Tilcom product line of organic titanates and zirconates manufactured by Tioxide Specialties Ltd. Products are recommended for use as lubricants and processing aids for filled and unfilled systems and as adhesion promoters with some ink systems used on plastic packaging.
UNION CAMP CORP.
Uniflex products include several grades of butyl stearate suitable for use with molded or extruded plastics. They are said to be compatible with PS, polyvinyl butyral, and rubber and partly compatible with PVC and nitrocellulose.
UNION CARBIDE CHEMICALS & PLASTICS CO., INC.
Manufactures silicone fluids in a range of viscosities, plus organomodified fluids. Both are used as internal lubricants and mold releases for thermoplastics. A typical product is company's L-45, used at viscosities of 10,000 to 60,000 cst.
Silicone fluids reduce coefficient of friction, improve wear resistance, and may improve surface appearance and gloss of molded parts. They also provide lower melt viscosity, resulting in better mold fill-out and reduced cycle times in injection molding. They are reported to be excellent internal mold releases, reducing or eliminating the need for externally applied mold-release agents.
WACKER SILICONES CORP.
Manufactures silicone fluids and emulsions in several viscosities, which are recommended as internal-lubricant additives for thermoplastics. Dimethylpolysiloxane fluids with viscosities of 12,500 and 30,000 centistokes reportedly give the greatest effectiveness when added to most thermoplastics, including nylons and styrenics. Thermoplastics internally lubricated with silicones are said to show lower coefficients of friction, improved wear resistance, easier demolding, and lower melt viscosity in many cases. This last feature can speed injection rate and reduce cycle time in injection molding.
Special functional silicone fluids and emulsions are available which give unique lubricity and multiple release effects, or which allow easier paintability. (See also Mold-Release Agents.)
WITCO CORP. ARGUS DIV.
Special lubricants for PVC include proprietary compositions and petrolatum.
WITCO CORP. HUMKO CHEMICAL DIV.
Several families of lubricants are offered:
* Kemamide E, S, B, and U primary fatty amides are used in PE, PP, PS, PVC, PU, and elastomers for slip, antiblock, and mold release.
* Kemamide W-40, ethylene bis-stearamide, is a mold-release additive for acetal, PBT, phenolic resins, and a lubricant for PVC.
* Kemamide S-80, E-180, P-181, S-221 and E-221 secondary amides are slip and antiblock agents, which can withstand processing temperatures surpassing 550 F.
* Hystrene fatty acids are recommended as lubricants and mold-release agents in polystyrene.
* Kemester 5721 and 5822 fatty esters are lubricants for engineering resins.
New grades introduced:
* Atmos 150, Atmul 84, and Dimul S are food-grade, mold-release, antistatic, and antifog agents for use in polyolefins and PVC.
* Atmos 300 and Atmos 695 are antifog agents for polyolefins and PVC, and antistats for flexible PVC. They are also recommended to reduce the viscosity of vinyl plastisols.
* Atmos 150, Atmul 84, Dimul S, and Kemester GMB can be used as slip and antiblock agents in polyolefins.
* Moldpro products are internal mold releases and processing aids for use in polyolefins, engineering resins and elastomers.
WITCO CORP. ORGANICS DIV.
Offers the following metallic stearates:
* For Rigid PVC--Calcium Stearate FP, Calcium Stearate F, Calcium Stearate-Extra Dense, Magnesium Stearate D, and Sodium Stearate T-1 are internal lubricants. Sunolite 160 is a refined petroleum wax used as an external lubricant.
* For flexible PVC--Calcium Stearate F, and Calcium Stearate FP.
* For crystal PS--Zinc Stearate Ed-Heat Stable.
* For expandable PS--Zinc Stearate 11 and Zinc Stearate-Polymer Grade.
* For high-impact PS--Calcium Stearate FP, Heat-Stable Sodium Stearate, and Sodium Stearate T-1.
* For PP--Calcium Stearate FP, Calcium Stearate F, Calcium Stearate Regular and potassium stearate.
* For HDPE--Calcium Stearate FP, Calcium Stearate F, Zinc Stearate 11, and Zinc Stearate Ed-Heat Stable.
* For ABS--Magnesium Stearate D, Magnesium Stearate DM, and Calcium Stearate FP.
* For cellulosics--Zinc Stearate 11.
* For nylon--Heat-Stable Sodium Stearate and Zinc Stearate 11.
* For phenolics--Calcium Stearate F, Calcium Stearate FP, and Calcium Stearate Extra Dense.
* For unsaturated polyester--Zinc Stearate 11, Zinc Stearate Regular, Lubrazinc W, Calcium Stearate Regular, and Calcium Stearate P-Coarse.
WITCO CORP. SONNEBORN DIV.
Manufactures a fully refined USP and NF grade of white mineral oils, petrolatums and microcrystalline waxes for use as both internal and external lubricants.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||plastics industry|
|Article Type:||Buyers Guide|
|Date:||Jul 15, 1992|
|Previous Article:||Impact modifiers: product lines reviewed.|
|Next Article:||Mold-release agents: product lines reviewed.|