Lovell St. slaying suspect ordered held without bail.
WORCESTER - A city man was ordered held without bail yesterday after pleading not guilty to charges stemming from a May 12 home invasion that left one man dead and two women seriously injured.
Noel Inoa, 27, of 53 Suffolk St., was arraigned in Worcester Superior Court on charges of murder, home invasion, armed robbery and three counts each of aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, armed assault in a dwelling and assault with a dangerous weapon.
The charges relate to a home invasion at 326 Lovell St. that authorities said resulted in the strangulation death of 32-year-old Javier Berrios-Maldonado and severe injuries to Samantha Lester, 18, and Yanette Rivera, 30.
Money and jewelry were stolen, and investigators said drugs were found in the apartment.
Police were called to Lovell Street shortly before midnight May 12 to investigate a report of a toddler in a car seat on the side of the road. Their search for the child's family led police to 326 Lovell St., where police heard moans coming from inside the first-floor apartment and forced their way in, according to prosecutors.
There, investigators discovered the body of Mr. Berrios-Maldonado and the two surviving female victims.
All three had been bound and gagged, according to Assistant District Attorney Terrence M. Reidy.
Ms. Lester, the 18-year-old mother of the child found in the street, was stabbed in the chest and a 10-inch knife had been thrust into her neck, authorities said. Ms. Rivera suffered a severe head injury after being struck with a dumbbell, according to Mr. Reidy.
The assistant district attorney said Mr. Inoa was identified by the female victims, who both testified before the grand jury.
Prosecutors allege that Mr. Inoa orchestrated the home invasion and that he and a co-defendant, Jose Marrero-Rodriguez, ambushed the victims in the lobby of 326 Lovell St. as they returned home from a family gathering.
Mr. Marrero-Rodriguez, 33, of 98 Pine St., Southbridge, has been indicted on the same charges as Mr. Inoa and is scheduled to be arraigned Aug. 16.
Mr. Inoa was held without bail without prejudice by Judge David Ricciardone after his lawyer, Robert M. Griffin, said he would reserve his right to argue bail at a future hearing. Mr. Inoa's case was continued to Aug. 16.
NOTE: 2012 INCIDENT
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||LOCAL NEWS|
|Publication:||Telegram & Gazette (Worcester, MA)|
|Date:||Aug 9, 2012|
|Previous Article:||Stately relic at Elm Park will survive.|
|Next Article:||Mayor wants council to mull court ruling; Another appeal of decision on sewage treatment plant?|