Printer Friendly

Ledger 'may have died from overdose'.

POST-MORTEM results on Hollywood actor Heath Ledger came back inconclusive yesterday, as speculation mounted that he died from an accidental overdose of sleeping pills.

The 28-year-old actor was found dead at his New York apartment on Tuesday.

Pills were found near his body and Ledger recently admitted taking the prescription drug Ambien to combat insomnia.

According to unconfirmed reports in the US, the actor had also been suffering from pneumonia.

The US medical examiner's office said further tests are needed to establish the cause of death, and they could take around 10 days.

Ledger's family insist his death was accidental.

As tributes poured in from Hollywood, movie star Jack Nicholson said the tragedy could be a warning about the dangers of certain sleeping pills.

Nicholson said he had taken Ambien - marketed in Britain as Zolpidem - and it had serious side effects.

"I warn people about Ambien," he said in London during a promotional visit for his latest film.

CAPTION(S):

A post mortem on Heath Ledger's body was inconclusive
COPYRIGHT 2008 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Date:Jan 24, 2008
Words:169
Previous Article:Balcony plunge father is cleared of murder charge; Mother's distress at Crete court verdict.
Next Article:Waitrose is top retailer.
Topics:

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters