Learning Asset Integration (LAI) initiative.
DAU provides career-long support through the products and services offered in its Performance Learning Model (PLM). A major DAU goal is to integrate and leverage all learning assets developed by and available to DAU to maximize the value of all assets to the AT&L workforce. Learning assets range from small objects like a graphic representation of the acquisition framework, to a large online career field community of practice and its body of knowledge. Learning assets cover the spectrum from internal and external sources as follows:
* Learning objects and courses developed by DAU's authoring tools
* Classroom course presentations and information artifacts
* Continuous learning modules/courses
* Rapid deployment training assets
* Targeted training assets
* Performance support assets
* DAU and Department of Defense guidebooks and handbooks
* Policy and reference documents (in AT&L Knowledge Sharing repository)
* Database of questions and answers ("Ask a Professor" in AT&L Knowledge Sharing repository)
* Case studies, best practices, automated templates/tools
* Knowledge communities, subtopic areas, and contributed assets
* Student-developed studies, reports, and lessons learned,
* Faculty business cards with identified areas of expertise (from the human resources database)
* Advanced distributed learning repository of DoD sharable learning objects.
What is LAI and how will it be accomplished? LAI is capturing, organizing, life cycle managing, and providing open access to a broad spectrum of learning assets in a central digital repository or repositories. An architecture of the initial Learning Asset Integration is shown to the right.
DAU is in the process of selecting and purchasing a new learning content management system that will include a robust central digital repository. The repository will be configured to accept learning assets in structures/taxonomies that will make it easy for users to access the stored knowledge. The system will have easy-to-use templates for knowledge owners to contribute learning assets and describe them by using meta tags.
Why is LAI an imperative?
DAU believes it must integrate its learning assets to:
* Leverage and maximize the value of all DAU products and services
* Provide the most accurate and current knowledge available in all DAU products and services
* Enrich the activities and content in courses and course modules
* Minimize the cost of development and maintenance through asset reuse
* Help AT&L workers to develop career qualifications and competencies
* Help AT&L workers to stay current in their profession
* Help AT&L workers to do their jobs efficiently and in real time
* Help AT&L workers to make smart business decisions
* Support DAU's e-Learning vision and support future competency-based training.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||Defense Acquisition University|
|Publication:||Defense AT & L|
|Date:||Sep 1, 2004|
|Previous Article:||Defense Acquisition University deploys AT&L Knowledge Sharing System (AKSS) 3.0 with interwoven.|
|Next Article:||Information Technology (IT) Community of Practice.|