Printer Friendly

LUFTHANSA BRINGS SECOND JUMBO 747 AIR FREIGHTER TO ATLANTA; NEW FLIGHTS ARE ATLANTA'S ONLY ALL-CARGO SERVICE TO MEXICO

       LUFTHANSA BRINGS SECOND JUMBO 747 AIR FREIGHTER TO ATLANTA;
       NEW FLIGHTS ARE ATLANTA'S ONLY ALL-CARGO SERVICE TO MEXICO
    ATLANTA, Nov. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- In response to a rapidly growing demand for air cargo in the South, Lufthansa German Airlines will add a second Boeing 747 all-cargo aircraft to its Atlanta route beginning Nov. 21.
    The new jumbo freighter, with 100 tons of cargo capacity, will fly once a week from Frankfurt to Atlanta, then continue to Mexico City, where it will begin its return flight via Atlanta back to Frankfurt.
    This routing not only gives Lufthansa additional space for cargo to and from Europe, it also opens Atlanta's only freighter service to and from Mexico.  Lufthansa Cargo officials anticipate filling as much as 40 percent of the aircraft's capacity from Atlanta to Mexico with items such as high-tech products, automobile parts, and machinery spares.  The remaining 60 percent is reserved for shipments from Europe.
    Lufthansa reported a dramatic rise in demand for air cargo in Atlanta in recent years, especially in exports.  In 1989, export cargo increased 18 percent, in 1990 25 percent, and projected figures for 1991 show an additional expansion of more than 5 percent.  Much of this growth is attributed to lower dollar exchange rates and increased demand for U.S. goods in Europe.  Leading exports from the region include automobile parts, computer components, chemicals, agricultural products and machinery.
    The new jumbo cargo aircraft joins Lufthansa's existing B-747 "Sunbelt Freighter," which has been flying from Atlanta to Cologne, Germany, once a week since October 1990.  The "Sunbelt Freighter" uses Atlanta as a hub to collect air cargo from across the South for shipment to Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.  Lufthansa has developed an exclusive network of Road Feeder Services to bring shipments from the Carolinas, Texas and across the Southeast to Atlanta.
    Lufthansa is the world's leading international air cargo carrier, transporting 914,000 metric tons of cargo in 1990.  In addition to capacity on its passenger flights, the airline maintains a separate cargo fleet, consisting of eight Boeing 747, two 737 and five DC-8 freighters.  Lufthansa began passenger and cargo service to Atlanta in 1980, and currently flies to more than 180 destinations in 80 countries worldwide.
    -0-                 11/19/91
    /EDITOR'S NOTE:  Photo material available upon request./
    /CONTACT:  Dan A. Lewis of Lufthansa, 404-266-8245/ CO:  Lufthansa German Airlines ST:  Georgia IN:  AIR SU: BN-BR -- AT009 -- 4853 11/19/91 10:14 EST
COPYRIGHT 1991 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1991 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Nov 19, 1991
Words:407
Previous Article:BP STUDY CONFIRMS SAFETY OF DEEPWELLS
Next Article:USL, CHORUS CEMENT TIES BETWEEN SVR4 AND CHORUS MICROKERNEL; AGREEMENT REINFORCED BY $1 MILLION USL INVESTMENT
Topics:


Related Articles
LUFTHANSA TAKES DELIVERY OF ITS 50TH BOEING 747
NEW LUFTHANSA CARGO CENTER OPENS AT O'HARE AIRPORT
HARTSFIELD EXPANDS INTERNATIONAL CARGO SERVICE International All-Cargo Flights Triple This Year
Hartsfield Announces South Pacific All-Cargo Service; Air New Zealand Begins Service
Delta, Sabena Add Second Daily Flight Between Atlanta and Brussels
Martinair Cargo Launches Denver Freighter Service; Heralds Expansion of the North American Cargo Program by 158%
Lufthansa Cargo Orders Six Boeing MD-11 Freighters.
Pull out will boost SAA.
Iceland's Avion Group Orders Boeing 777 Freighters.
Air Cargo News.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2016 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters