LANDMARK: Peel Street's bobbies on wheels.
In the top picture the mobile section gets a good looking over in 1962 from Sir Charles Martin, Inspector of Constabulary, accompanied by Chief Constable D Bradley and Insp N Woodcock, the man in charge of the mobile section. It is likely the two men being inspected are Eric Wellard (between the bikes) and John W Sykes. Helmets and police bikes have changed considerably in style since then. The middle picture shows the 1950 annual inspection - again the mobile section - on parade at St Paul's Street Drill Hall. This was just a year before Insp John Braithwaite (right) who was then in charge of the section, retired after 27 years with Huddersfield Borough Police.
Insp Braithwaite was a member of the fire brigade when it was a police department. The fire depot was in the same block as the Peel Street police headquarters.
* RETIRING: Insp John Braithwaite who was in charge of the mobile section until 1951 (TmcHUD290609-KE04867) ATTENTION: Borough Police annual inspections at Peel Street (above) and St Paul's Street Drill Hall (below) (TmcHUD290609-KE16723 and TmcHUD290609-KE03012)
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)|
|Date:||Jul 14, 2009|
|Previous Article:||Bobby dazzler; A collection of snapshots of the 'happiest days of our lives'.|
|Next Article:||LANDMARK: The history of policing in Huddersfield.|