Kids sniff bins to get high.
Youth gangs are stealing the bins, setting fire to the bottoms - then sticking their heads under the lids to inhale the fumes.
Solvent abuse charities last night warned it could be just as dangerous as sniffing glue or petrol.
Gases from the burning polyethylene plastic starve the brain of oxygen, giving a quick high. Drug charity Solve It said: "Just because it sits in mum and dad's back yard doesn't mean it's safe. Once on fire, a bin's fumes can be lethal."
The craze started in Glasgow and has spread to other areas. Police in Barnsley, South Yorks., have recorded 100 bin fires in a fortnight.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Sunday Mirror (London, England)|
|Date:||Nov 4, 2007|
|Previous Article:||MEEHAN DIES, 62; Heart attack claims the life of Provo & SF councillor Martin.|
|Next Article:||Rod hits sour note in tribute.|