Printer Friendly

KILLER MUSHROOM; Woman dies after she eats deadly fungus from garden.

Byline: ADAM ASPINALL adam.aspinall@mirror.co.uk

A WOMAN has died after eating one of the world's most poisonous mushrooms from her garden.

Christine Hale, 57, suffered multiple organ failure thought to have been caused by the death cap toadstool.

Her husband ate a smaller amount and was saved by medics but Christine, of Bridgwater, Somerset, died in hospital on November 19, an adjourned inquest heard.

The deadly fungus, which resembles several edible species, is responsible for the majority of accidental poisoning deaths worldwide, with one stem considered enough to kill an adult.

The last recorded UK fatality was in 2008 when mum-of-two Amphon Tuckey, 39, ate some picked by her niece at Ventnor Botanic Gardens on the Isle of Wight.

An inquest into her death heard she died after "30 hours of extreme illness and agony".

Horse Whisperer writer Nicholas Evans nearly died from one that year.

And they are thought to have killed Roman Emperor Claudius in 54AD.

Death caps are large white mushrooms, often pale green on the outside of the head, with a cup-shaped base.

CAPTION(S):

DEADLY Toadstool
COPYRIGHT 2012 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2012 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 
Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Nov 28, 2012
Words:184
Previous Article:DRIVER TEXTING AS SHE KILLED DAD OF 2; Dentist faces jail for dog walker death.
Next Article:MUMS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN BOSS.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters