KESC appeals masses to control anger in case of power interruptions.
KARACHI, June 27, 2009 (Balochistan Times) -- The Karachi Electric Supply Company has appealed to the general public to control their anger in case of power interruptions and not to resort to attacks on the utilitys service centres which would only delay the restoration process. Addressing a news briefing here on Saturday, Mr. Jan Abbas Zaidi, Chief Operating Officer Distribution, expressed regret over a mob attack at the KESCs Al-Razi Complaint Centre in Landhi 3-1/2 Area on Friday evening. Mr. Zaidi pointed out that most of the attackers were children and teenagers, and expressed regret over the fact that the parents had not been training their children in the right direction. More than the price of damaged vehicles, furniture, computers and other properties, he remarked, we are concerned over the fact that our youngsters are learning to take negative course of action in times of anger and provocation. He advised the responsible consumers to interfere on such occasions and tell the attackers that the damage to utilitys belonging, specially the vehicles, billing records and computers, would bring nothing but to holdup the action on their complaints. He also mentioned the fact that air conditioners, fans and telephone sets had been taken away from the complaint centre by the attacking mob, and said: This shows that the intention of the attackers was not to get their electricity restored. Giving out the operational update, Mr. Zaidi said that at 2 PM Saturday, the total demand of the City stood at 2237 megawatts while the KESC had been supplying the same number of MWs at that time, thus there was no deficit. The Independent Power Plant KANUPP has not yet returned, he explained, thankfully, all our own and the independent generation plants, plus the grid stations and feeders have been working satisfactorily, while we are receiving 610 MWs from Pepco. He said that only the Gadap Grid was still facing some difficulty but it was expected to get back on line very soon. Faults in Quaidabad, Malir and Landhi, he continued, had been normalized. Two circuits which had developed error at Friday midnight had also started functioning. There is a fault in Akbar Cotton Sub-Station in Korangi Industrial Area affecting about 100 consumers, while C-1 Area Liaquatabad Sub-Station also has a local fault. Work on all these and the restrictions at Rashid Minhas Road near NIPA Chowrangi, Sector 12-B of Industrial Area and Surjani is also underway and the faults are expected to be resolved soon. In total, 60 cable faults had been reported of which 41 have been repaired and the rest will be restored soon, he added. REFERENDUM: Mr. Zafar Aziz Osmani, Chief Operating Officer, Organisational Management, told media persons on this occasion that the KESC, under the decision of a Division Bench of the Sindh High Court, would hold referendum within 90 days of the verdict to elect Central Bargaining Agent (CBA), in which the contract employees would also have a right to cast their votes. He said that the National Industrial Relations Commission had already started work to finalize voters lists for the referendum. INVESTMENT: Mr. Osmani also explained details of the investment to be made by KESC under an agreement with the government signed on April 13 this year. According to that, the stakeholders of the utility would invest a total of 361 million dollars into transmission and generation projects. Of that, 150 million dollars would be invested during the first year, another 150 millions in the second year, and 61 millions in the third year. From April to date, he said, 72 million dollars had already been invested and this amount would grow to 100 million by September.
(THROUGH ASIA PULSE)
(THROUGH ASIA PULSE)
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Balochistan Times (Baluchistan Province, Pakistan)|
|Date:||Jun 27, 2009|
|Previous Article:||Ability to lead others is a critical skill: Jabbar.|
|Next Article:||Sindh Assembly passes Finance Bill 2009-10.|