Printer Friendly

Joe Walsh says he's 'done with talk radio'.

Now that Joe Walsh has announced his quixotic bid to challenge President Donald Trump for the Republican nomination in 2020, the former Illinois congressman says he's sacrificing his career as a radio talk show host.

Walsh has been holding forth on WIND 560-AM, the Salem Media news/talk station, since 2013 the year after he lost his re-election bid following one term in Congress.

His local show aired from 5 to 7 p.m. weekdays. His national show, syndicated by Salem Radio Network, aired from 8 to 11 p.m. weekdays.

"I'm done with talk radio, and that makes me sad," Walsh said Sunday on "Beyond the Beltway with Bruce DuMont." "But to me, this is a bigger mission. I've got to do what I can to make sure this guy can't be reelected and ... to try to help save the Republican Party. Trump has destroyed the Republican Party."

On Monday, Salem Radio Network gave affiliates 30 days' notice that it was canceling Walsh's show to avoid running afoul of the FCC's Equal Time Rule.

"This announcement does not affect Walsh's local program airing on AM-560 The Answer in Chicago; however, Walsh's program will have to be removed as soon as he becomes a viable and legal candidate for president," according to the company.

Walsh acknowledged that his outspoken criticism of Trump already had cost him support among some affiliates.

"The easiest thing for me to do is to just line up with everybody else in conservative media and sing this president's praises," he told Dumont. "If I did that, I'd still have a radio show, I'd have great ratings, and every Republican would love me. I truly believe that this president is a danger to the country. He has no respect for the rule of law. He believes he's a dictator.

"This will be the most difficult thing I've ever done, because Trump and his people are going to come after me and pound me every day. I'm not doing this because it's going to be fun."

Despite Walsh's declaration, his bosses at WIND weren't quite ready to close the door on him Monday.

"The situation with Joe Walsh is complicated, it is not black and white," Jeff Reisman, regional vice president and general manager, told me. "Salem will proceed with Joe and his WIND program in a manner consistent with FCC regulations as they apply to candidates for political office as well as with Joe's employment agreement."

Walsh has been on vacation from his radio job since last week. Filling in for him at least through Tuesday has been Shaun Thompson, host of "The Liberty Hour" on weekends. Will Walsh be back on the air today? Stay tuned.

Walsh's contract with the station reportedly runs through the end of 2020.

* For more Robert Feder or to comment on his active blog, go to robertfeder.com.

COPYRIGHT 2019 Paddock Publications
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, IL)
Date:Aug 28, 2019
Words:477
Previous Article:Glenn Beck headlining Arlington Hts. think tank's annual dinner fundraiser.
Next Article:Foxx plans to expunge 'tens of thousands' of pot convictions.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters