Printer Friendly

Jealousy alleged in fatal stabbing; Witness says suspect `went nuts' at sight of rival.

Byline: Scott J. Croteau

WORCESTER - Accused killer Carlos Rios went into a jealous rage moments before he stabbed 17-year-old Christopher Olivencia, the teenager he believed fathered a child with his girlfriend, according to search warrant affidavits on file in Central District Court.

"As a result of an investigation, it was learned that Christopher Olivencia had a problem with Carlos Rios because of both having a relationship with Erica Semidey," Detective Brian R. Hackett wrote in the affidavit. "Rios has a 3-year-old child with Semidey. Rios believes that Semidey's 7-month-old child was fathered by Olivencia."

Mr. Rios, who turned himself in to Florida authorities Wednesday night, will be arraigned on a murder charge in Central District Court today. He is accused of stabbing Mr. Olivencia once in the chest on March 8. The stab wound penetrated Mr. Olivencia's heart and he died at St. Vincent Hospital.

In a March 9 interview with detectives, Ms. Semidey, 22, said she was with Mr. Rios and another friend, German Echevarria, in the morning on March 8. They allegedly drove to a cell phone business on Lincoln Street, then to a home where Mr. Rios' aunt lived, the affidavit said.

According to Ms. Semidey, "Echevarria stated that he and Rios were driving and Rios saw Olivencia and went nuts. Echevarria stated that Rios stabbed Olivencia."

Nowhere in the affidavit does Ms. Semidey state that Mr. Olivencia is the father of her 7-month-old child.

Mr. Rios, 24, with a last known address of 22 Milton St., Worcester, served a little more than four months in jail on a charge of threatening to commit a crime. He was sentenced June 2005. Court records also show Mr. Rios is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday on a charge of marijuana possession and failure to wear a seat belt.

City detectives traveled to Florida after Mr. Rios turned himself in to authorities there. He waived rendition, allowing his return to Massachusetts so he could be arraigned on the murder charge. Court records said Mr. Rios was living on Tacoma Street at the time of the killing.

Police obtained the arrest warrant for Mr. Rios a couple of days after the stabbing death. Investigators said the stabbing was part of an ongoing dispute between Mr. Rios and Mr. Olivencia over a girl.

Police tried to find Mr. Rios, and they had information he was in Puerto Rico, Florida or dead.

According to another affidavit for a search warrant on file, Mr. Rios went to his aunt's house on 3 View St. on March 8. Mr. Rios allegedly left the home with the aunt's live-in boyfriend, Jesus Martinez.

Mr. Martinez had not called the aunt since that day, Detective Daniel Rosario wrote in the affidavit. They interviewed the aunt on March 10.

Detectives interviewed Mr. Martinez on March 12. He denied knowing where Mr. Rios was located, the detective wrote.

"Furthermore, he provided divergent information in an attempt to convince us that (Mr. Rios) never left the area," Detective Rosario wrote. "It was apparent that Mr. Martinez was evasive in answering clear questions. His story was not believable."

Detectives recovered trash bags outside the aunt's home on March 14. They allegedly found documents "abandoned" by the aunt in one bag. Another bag contained clothing that matched what Mr. Rios wore at the time of the killing, the affidavit said.

A witness told police Mr. Rios had a small bag of clothing with him when he arrived at the aunt's house shortly after the stabbing.

During the course of their investigation, detectives obtained search warrants for Ms. Semidey's Ford Taurus, the aunt's apartment at 3 View St., Apt. 2, and the Honda Odyssey owned by Mr. Martinez. Investigators were looking for evidence related to the death of Mr. Olivencia.

A black-handled steak knife with a 4-1/2-inch blade was recovered from the glove compartment in Ms. Semidey's car, the affidavit's inventory list said. Several knives were seized from the View Street apartment. The affidavits do not say whether any of the knives seized in the searches were connected to Mr. Olivencia's death.

Mr. Olivencia was returning home after visiting his girlfriend and their 3-week-old daughter, when he was stabbed outside his 33 Vernon St. home. His family lived on the third floor. Mr. Olivencia's aunt is his legal guardian.

Mr. Olivencia walked up the stairs to the third floor and told his family he had just been stabbed. He was shirtless, bleeding from the chest and holding a white cloth against his wound, affidavits said.

The family then drove him to the hospital. Police were called and arrived at the hospital around 10:23 a.m. About an hour later, Mr. Olivencia died.

Family members said that when he came upstairs, he continued to repeat, "Somebody stabbed me." During the ride he had seizures and never spoke again.

COPYRIGHT 2007 Worcester Telegram & Gazette
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Telegram & Gazette (Worcester, MA)
Date:Mar 20, 2007
Previous Article:Casella sued in '05 death of worker; Man caught in conveyor belt.
Next Article:Oxford's ex-chief survives close call; Worcester backhoe badly damages SUV.

Related Articles
Witness describes shot fired in anger.
City man sentenced in wife's slaying; 15-20 years given after guilty plea.
Slain teen's relatives arrested; Sweep netted brother, uncle.
Knife attack leaves man, 19, `critical'; Police: Stabbings have increased.
Judge rules defense motion jumps the gun in murder case; 2 teens face life in prison if convicted.
`Boxing match' turns into lethal stabbing; City man dies of multiple wounds.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters