DIRECTIONS: First, read "Name That Element!" (p. 22). Then, solve the clues below to complete this crossword puzzle. To spell out the bonus words, unscramble the letters in parentheses.
1. A highly -- chemical combines easily with other elements.
2. In its pure state, flourine is a greenish -- gas.
3. The atomic number equals the number of --in an atom's nucleus.
4. Flourine combines with all other elements except helium, neon, and --.
5. The atomic mass equals the number of protons plus the number of -- found in a single atom of an element.
6. A once-popular, but ozone-damaging, refrigerant contained flourine and the element --.
7. Earth's ozone layer is a protective layer of gas located in the upper --.
8. When -- break down food, they release acids.
9. A -- is made of two or more elements that are chemically combined.
10. A -- is a row on the periodic table.
Bonus: Flourine, the thirteenth most abundant element, is released into the environment naturally via (a.) -- and (b.) --.
1. reactive 2. yellow 3. protons 4. argon 5. neutrons 6. chlorine 7. atmosphere 8. microbes 9. compound 10. period Bonus: a. air b. water
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||VOCABULARY BUILDER|
|Date:||Feb 19, 2007|
|Previous Article:||World tour.|
|Next Article:||Tobacco addiction and secondhand smoke.|