Is Sophie the unluckiest person in all of Wales?
Sophie fawcett today lays claim to be the most unlucky person in Wales, after a litany of accidents and mishaps. Fires, broken limbs, overflowing toilets and electric shocks follow the 22-year-old around proving that if Sod's Law exists, it is targeting her. Despite her age, the Barry girl has had more bad luck than anyone she knows and there seems no sign of it stopping.
A self-confessed klutz, her husband has even banned her from handling something as simple as eggs, because she cannot be trusted not to break them accidentally. She said, 'My husband can back me up on all of these.
'I have always been clumsy and it is just a case of, if it is going to happen then it will.'
While most of us might have occasional mishaps, Sophie's cup runneth over. The customer service adviser said, 'Our toilet had been broken and overflowing so we figured out the only way to stop it was to keep the ball-cock level.
'One morning when I was in the house on my own it started to overflow, so I ran downstairs to get the phone to call my dad - a plumber. He was in work all day so I spent the day standing up or sitting down flushing the toilet until 5pm when my dad arrived. He asked me why I didn't turn the water off? I didn't know you could.'
After repeatedly injuring herself, the 22-year-old has given up going to the hospital, because they'll laugh at her.
'The last time I went to the hospital was when I broke my wrist. I was sitting on the lowest part of my sofa and I fell off it. I didn't tell them how I injured myself, and I've gotten rid of the sofa. I've also broken my finger, my other wrist, stubbed my toe so hard the nail fell off and slammed my hand in a car door.'
Even washing the dishes is an accident waiting to happen. 'I am forever breaking things. I broke a glass underwater and sliced my hand open. I still have the scars.'
Husband Chez has tried to make the house as safe as possible, and after an incident with a toaster and a pair of kitchen curtains catching fire, there are a number of fire blankets around. He seems immune to accidents himself.
'We have our tumble dryer in the kitchen and the condensation makes it a bit wet around the light fitting. I always get an electric shock, but Chez doesn't. I have started to stop turning the light on.'
This week, a panel of experts commissioned for British Gas, discovered the statistical formula to predict Sod's Law. The formula is ((U+C+1) x (10-S))/20 x A x 1/(1-sin(F/10). The formula works on urgency, complexity, importance, skill and frequency - with the solution to Sod's Law being reducing one of these factors.
More than 1,000 tested the formula, and it was found that it is not just a case of something going wrong - it happens at the most inopportune moment.
Dr David Lewis, a psychologist, said, 'If you haven't got the skill to do something important, leave it alone. If something is urgent or complex find a simple way to do it.': An accidental diary, by Sophie Fawcett:September, 2000 - Burnt holes in the kitchen curtains today when the toaster caught on fire. I was talking to a friend at the door when it happened. January, 2001 - Got an electric shock from the frayed cord on the vacuum. July 1, 2003 - Forced to spend the whole day standing, and sitting, flushing the toilet to stop it from overflowing. Dad asked me why didn't I just switch the water off? I didn't know you could.
August 2003 - Slit my hand on a glass which broke when I was washing the dishes. Think it might scar.
August 2003 - Tripped up the stairs with a tin of paint and it went everywhere. Paint on the stairs, carpet, everywhere I look.
November 2003 - Got stuck under the bed looking for something. My husband had to pull me out.
January 2004 - Stubbed my toe so hard my toenail fell off.
February 2004 - Got stuck in a car park lift today. I don't like lifts.
April, 2004 - Fell off the lowest part of the sofa today. Broke wrist.
September 2004 - Tripped up the kerb while walking into work. That's always happening. October 2004 - Still constantly getting electric shocks from the light in the kitchen. It never seems fair that Chez doesn't get shocked and it is just me. I should just leave the light off, but then I will walk into tables or doors.