Incentives and Limitations of Employment Policies on Retirement Transitions: Comparisons of Public and Private Sectors.
An NBER conference on Incentives and Limitations of Employment Policies on Retirement Transitions: Comparisons of Public and Private Sectors took place in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, August 9-10. Research Associates Robert L. Clark of North Carolina State University and Joseph P. Newhouse of Harvard University organized the meeting, which was sponsored by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. These researchers' papers were presented and discussed:
* Katharine G. Abraham, University of Maryland and NBER, and Brad Hershbein and Susan Houseman, WE. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, "Contract Work at Older Ages"
* Richard V. Burkhauser, Cornell University, "How the CEA and the Trump Administration Addressed Work and Retirement Policies"
* Peter Hudomiet, Andrew Parker, and Susann Rohwedder, RAND Corporation, and Michael D. Hurd, RAND Corporation and NBER, "Current and Desired Job Characteristics of Older Workers and Their Effects on Retirement"
* Dhiren Patki, University of Michigan, "Breaking the Implicit Contract: Using Pension Freezes to Estimate the Labor Supply Elasticity"
* Courtney Coile, Wellesley College and NBER, and Susan Stewart, NBER, "Retirement Incentives and Behavior of Private and Public Sector Workers"
* Raimond Maurer, Goethe University Frankfurt, and Olivia S. Mitchell, University of Pennsylvania and NBER, "Older Peoples' Willingness to Delay Social Security Claiming" (NBER Working Paper 22942)
* Robert L. Clark and Robert G. Hammond and Siyan Liu, North Carolina State University, "Work after Retirement: Worklife Transitions of Career Public Employees"
* Alicia Munnell, Boston College, and Geoffrey Sanzenbacher and Abigail Walters, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, "How Do Older Workers Use Nontraditionaljobs?"
* John Chalmers, University of Oregon; Olivia S. Mitchell, University of Pennsylvania and NBER; Jonathan Reuter, Boston College and NBER; Geoffrey Sanzenbacher, Boston College; and Mingli Zhong, University of Pennsylvania, "Auto-Enrollment Retirement Plans for the People: Choices and Outcomes in OregonSaves"
Summaries of these papers are at www.nber.org/conferences/2019/ELMRsl9/summary.html