Printer Friendly

In pictures: Six iconic buildings that make us proud of our industrial past; Hiding between the new builds are bridges to towers and factories to shipyards that stamped industry on our region.

Byline: Lisa Hutchinson

The North East is proud of its industrial past, and as you drive through the region glimmers of our heritage are still to be seen.

Between the trendy new buildings that have popped up in recent years poke industrial relics that our region can boast about.

In their heyday they oozed pride as they stood tall and strong against their working backdrop.

But nowadays many of them have been forgotten about as they fall into disrepair.

Everything from bridges to towers and factories to the shipyards that stamped industry on our region.

Wipe away their dust and they show both skill and history.

Our industrial past is something to be proud of, so ChronicleLive has dug into its archives to show you some examples.

Here are our favourites but if you have any others please tell us in the comments:

Scotswood Railway Bridge

ScotswoodRailway Bridge is a pipeline bridge and former railway bridge crossing the River Tyne. It previously carried theNewcastleand Carlisle Railway between Scotswood andBlaydonstations.

The first railway bridge across the River Tyne at this location was a timber bridge completed in 1839. This was destroyed by fire caused by hot ash from a passing train in 1860. A wooden replacement opened in 1861 which was then replaced by a temporary single-track bridge in 1865.

Remember these 12 Geordie employers that have disappeared but hold fond memories for those who worked there

The fourth bridge on the site was opened in 1871 and cost [pounds sterling]20,000 to build. It is a six-span wrought-iron hog-back bridge on five cast-iron cylinder piers. It was set at an angle to the river so that trains could approach the bridge at speed, as there was no sharp curve onto the bridge. It required strengthening in 1943. It was taken out of use permanently on 4 October 1982, when the trains on the Tyne Valley line were re-routed across the King Edward VII Bridge and throughDunston.

The bridge is still used to carry water and gas mains over the river, but the railway tracks have been removed.

Robert Sinclair Tobacco Factory

John Sinclair and Robert Sinclair were brothers who went into the tobacco trade.

John had a tobacco factory in Bath Lane in Newcastle, while the Robert Sinclair premises still stand in Blenheim Street, facing St James's Boulevard in the city, near the junction with Westgate Road. The sign can still be seen.

Future of historic Robert Sinclair mural in doubt as developers say site is 'dilapidated, derelict and vacant'

In 1956, Sinclair's celebrated a century in the tobacco trade in Newcastle.

Almost 200 dinner guests were told that the company had made enough Golden Brown Twist tobacco to reach the moon.

Hidden in plain sight - nine strange things you might not have noticed in Newcastle

Sinclair's Ladies Twist chewing tobacco was a favourite with pitmen and policemen who were not allowed to smoke on duty.

The dinner heard that in the snuff making department of the company, where temperatures could reach 128A[degrees]F, nobody had ever suffered from a cold. A 19th Century Tyneside trade directory shows that Robert and John started business in Dean Street in Newcastle in 1856, with the partnership being dissolved in 1885.

The Blenheim Street factory, which made products like Navy Plug, employed 30 women in its raw tobacco department while a single tobacco spinner could process up to 800lbs of the material in a week.

Old warehouses/mill at the Ouseburn

The lowerOuseburnwas the cradle of the industrial revolution in Newcastle. There was a cluster of heavy crafts and industries in the area and the warehouses that once housed them still stand strong.

Coal was brought from the Town Moor along the Victoria Tunnel, where the tidal nature of the Ouseburn allowed wherries -- the local barges -- to be loaded at low tide.

Remember these 12 Geordie employers that have disappeared but hold fond memories for those who worked there

The lower Ouseburn Valley had fallen into disuse and dereliction by the mid-twentieth century, but its industrial heritage had left many large buildings which, since the 1970s, have increasingly been utilised as creative workspaces by artists, musicians and performers.

The area has now become a cultural hotspot, making it a great place to live and offering trendy places to go to drink and eat.

Brett Oils at Gateshead Quayside

The business, at the foot of the High Level Bridge, supplied lubricants and fuels to the industrial, agricultural and domestic sectors since 1877 from its prominent site onGatesheadQuays. It was founded by Richard Freeman Brett to supply and service the needs of oil lighting.

What life was REALLY like in the Dunston Rocket - the 'Heartbreak Hotel' where people 'urinated in lifts'

Although it closed some years ago, it remains derelict as a reminder of your industrial past.

However, there are plans to build on the former site to create around 200 one and two-bedroom flats.

Ship yards at Wallsend

When we talk about industrial heritage, shipbuilding on the Tyne was a huge game player.

Swan Hunter was responsible for some of the greatest ships of the early 20th century, most famously RMS Mauretania which held the Blue Riband for the fastest crossing of the Atlantic, and RMS Carpathia which rescued survivors from RMS Titanic.

Remember these? 33 extinct Geordie sayings which are so funny they should be brought back

It was a major employer on Tyneside.

In 2006, Swan Hunter ceased vessel construction on Tyneside, but continues to provide design engineering services.

The cranes we see now inWallsendare just a reminder of what it once was.

Today's other news and sport

Tower at the Cluny, Ouseburn

The Lime Street chimney was built in the late 1840s originally as part of the original steam operated flax mill designed by John Dobson - now known as the Cluny. The huge, brick-arched flue leading from the chimney to the mill was revealed under the road during works by Transco in the 1990s.

The Geordie alphabet: Learn your Aye, B and Cs the Newcastle way

After the chimney went out of use around 1900, the base was converted into a blacksmith's workshop, accessed via a door originally provided for cleaning and maintenance. The chimney was originally taller thanByker Bridge but the top was removed prior to World War II and the chimney void filled in.

CAPTION(S):

Credit: Newcastle Chronicle

Old railway bridge at Blaydon

Credit: Newcastle Chronicle

Robert Sinclair Tobacco Factory

Credit: Newcastle Chronicle

Old mills at the Ouseburn

Credit: Newcastle Chronicle

Brett Oils Gateshead Quayside

Credit: Newcastle Chronicle

Ship yards at Wallsend

Credit: Newcastle Chronicle

Tower at the Cluny, Ouseburn
COPYRIGHT 2019 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Chronicle (Newscastle upon Tyne, England)
Date:Aug 31, 2019
Words:1104
Previous Article:Major popcorn product recall issued for many different brands due to potential health risks; The Trading Standards Agency has issued an urgent...
Next Article:Incredible mum and daughter team who have lost over 9 stone between them; Claire Wilkinson and her 19-year-old daughter Georgia have lost an...
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters