IBM in Partnership with SHARE Inc. Announce 2007 Award for Excellence in Technology.
CHICAGO -- SHARE Inc., an independent association that provides training to IT professionals who utilize enterprise-class IBM technology, announced The Province of Quebec (DGTIC) is the winner of the 2007 Award for Excellence in Technology. The organization was able to migrate about 200 Oracle databases and other types of services from Unix environments (SUN-Solaris and IBM-AIX) to Linux on System z in 2006. For 2007, 200 more Oracle databases are planned along with LDAP, Domino and WebSphere Application Servers, SOA infrastructure startup and Open Source environment. This migration resulted in a 90% reduction in Oracle licensing costs.
The Province of Quebec found SHARE's VM and zLinux education invaluable in helping configure this solution. The networking aspects are somewhat complex due to the many different agencies supported by these various Oracle databases.
As a member of SHARE, the DGTIC has attended many meetings over the years. Through the peer interaction at SHARE, DGTIC personnel greatly benefited from the cross pollination of ideas and technologies.
Since 2001, the award has been given annually to a SHARE member company that has demonstrated exceptional use of technology that leverages IBM products or services along with knowledge and professional connections developed through SHARE. SHARE has been an influential association for over 50 years, and receiving this award is considered a highly prestigious achievement. The 2007 runner-up was The University of Florida.
"The statistics behind the work done at The Province of Quebec over the past year tell a compelling story. It is phenomenal to see the real successes the organization has achieved through its hard work. It is a well deserved recipient of an award that on a yearly basis offers proof of how SHARE can solve business issues through IT technology," said Martin Timmerman, President of SHARE.
IBM's System z Technical Sales Support, Michael Bliss stated "The Province of Quebec without question established a standard of excellence over the past year. IBM is proud to see an organization experience wins to this degree using our technology in combination with SHARE's educational opportunities.
The winning organization receives:
* Free full-week conference registration for two (2) employees of the Member Company to attend the SHARE User Events in Tampa: February 11-16, 2007 Tampa, Florida.
* Award presentation at the SHARE User Events in Tampa.
* Round trip airfare (Member Company location to serve as origin city) and five nights hotel accommodations for both employees (individual rooms including applicable taxes) for the SHARE User Events in Tampa. Any additional expenses including, but not limited to, gratuities and meals will not be covered by SHARE Inc.
* Two (2) free full-week conference registrations for future SHARE User Events (must be used within one year of Award date). Accommodations, additional expenses, etc. are not included.
* Opportunity to present a session at the SHARE User Events in Tampa and recognition in SHARE Publications, on the SHARE Web site, and potentially other industry publications chosen at the discretion of SHARE Inc.
Complete information and an award nomination form is available on SHARE's Web site at http://award.share.org/ . Questions regarding the award can be directed via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for entries to be considered for the 2008 Award is November 17, 2007.
Previous winners of the SHARE Award for Excellence in Technology include U.S. Social Security Administration (2006), MIB, Inc. (2005), Nationwide Insurance (2004), Caterpillar, Inc. (2003), Travelers Insurance (2002), and ISPW BenchMark Technologies Ltd. (2001).
For additional information, visit the SHARE Web site at www.share.org or contact SHARE Headquarters at 312.321.5160 or email@example.com.
SHARE is an independent, volunteer-run association providing IBM customers with user-focused education, professional networking, and a forum to influence the information technology industry. Since 1955, SHARE has enabled IT professionals to achieve business results through a combination of credible, relevant programs and peer opportunities. SHARE currently counts more than 2,100 organizations among its active member ranks.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Feb 13, 2007|
|Previous Article:||Extra Space Storage Inc. Announces Conference Call to Discuss Fourth Quarter and Year-End 2006 Results.|
|Next Article:||Learn About Contract Manufacturing at Japan's Akai Professional M.I. Corp.|