Printer Friendly

I WAS NEARLY HISSTORY; Hiker's hand balloons after she's bitten by adder she PICKED UP.

Byline: Jamie Milligan

A HIKER has told of her terror after a snake bit her as she held it up for a photograph.

Angie Roche's hand ballooned to three times its normal size after the incident while hillwalking with fiance Jim Crawford, 52.

They stumbled across an adder - the UK's only poisonous snake - in undergrowth in Ben Lomond in Argyll. Jim picked it up and Angie, 50, took pictures of him posing with it.

But as they swapped places, the two-and-a-half foot adder sank its fangs into Angie's finger.

The pair continued their hike but Angie was soon in pain. And when her hand started swelling badly, they rushed to the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow.

Medics were forced to study lorry driver Jim's snaps of the snake and consult an expert before treating Angie. The victim, from Glasgow, said: "When we first went in, the doctors didn't believe us. But they soon realised we were telling the truth.

"It was then I realised how serious things were. We found out 14 people had died from adder bites over the years.

"They injected me with anti-venomous steroids. It was like I was being stabbed. It was a really frightening experience but I'm here to tell the tale. I will never pick up another snake."


YOU'VE n BEEN AD Jim pictured with the adder seconds before it bit Angie ENGAGED J But Jim and Angie had scare on Ben Lomond SWELLING J Angie's hand
COPYRIGHT 2012 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2012 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Jul 5, 2012
Previous Article:Record tv.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters