Printer Friendly

I'll dip into a whisky now says poisoned huntsman.

A RACEHORSE trainer who almost died after swigging from a whisky bottle full of sheep dip is looking forward to toasting his recovery with a drop of the real stuff.

Raymond Shiels swallowed a mouthful of the poisonous chemical after being passed the bottle by a friend.

Within minutes, he started to hallucinate, collapsed and was rushed into intensive care and kept in hospital for a week.

Last night Raymond revealed he had no memory of his scare.

He said: "I know I was very ill because my family were told I might not make it.

"Doctors said I would have been killed if I had taken a second sip. But I'm home and healthy again.

"My wife's going to get a bottle of real whisky for Christmas."

Raymond, 36, was out with the Jed Forest Hunt as hunt master when shepherd Robin Grieve offered him a drink.

Robin carried two bottles in his Land Rover, one with whisky and the other which held sheep dip.

Raymond, of Thickside Farm, Jedburgh, Roxburgh-shire, said: "It was a genuine mistake. I don't hold anything against Robin but it shows you should always label things properly."
COPYRIGHT 1998 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1998 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Dec 17, 1998
Previous Article:CARE WORKER TIED BIN BAG OVER HEAD OF JANET, 90; Girl may face jail over home outrage.
Next Article:GOD'S BANKER EXHUMED; Bid to solve death riddle.

Related Articles
Huntsman Packaging acquires Blessings.
Foxhunter Ill After Swigging Sheep Dip.
Sheep dip dram almost kills fox hunter.
pounds 15M ROLLOVER; Whisky women's toast to huge Lotto jackpot win.
Takeover claim.
Real reasons to be cheerful in the crunch.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters