How do bones break?
Dear Dr. Cory: How do bones break?
Healthy bones are really strong. But sudden extra pressure or turning in a funny way can cause bones to break. Often kids break a bone when they fall from the monkey bars or a bicycle. To help protect your bones and your body:
* Use a booster seat and/or a seat belt when riding in a car.
* Wear a safety helmet and other safety gear for activities or sports.
* Before going to a playground, remove helmets, jewelry, and any clothing that could get caught on slides and other equipment.
* At the playground, stay away from people who are pushing or shoving.
To help build strong bones:
* Do lots of fast-walking, running, and jumping.
* Eat foods rich in calcium, vitamin D, and protein, including low-fat milk and yogurt, eggs, broccoli, sardines, salmon, and lean meats.
Illustrated by James Rhinehelder
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||ASK DR. CORY|
|Publication:||Humpty Dumpty's Magazine|
|Article Type:||Brief article|
|Date:||Mar 1, 2010|
|Previous Article:||How do you get rid of eczema? We have tried everything!|
|Next Article:||If a thorn gets stuck in your foot, does it go all the way up to your brain?|