Printer Friendly

Hospital fire started by accident; HEALTH.

Byline: MAURICE FITZMAURICE

A BLAZE which sparked an evacuation at Altnagelvin Hospital started in a small room where electrical equipment was being stored, the Fire Service said last night.

More than 100 patients were cleared from the Derry hospital after the fire broke out on the roof of the tower block on Friday night.

A probe by Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service has determined the cause of fire as accidental.

An NIFRS spokeswoman said: "Preliminary findings indicate the fire started accidentally in a small room on the roof of the tower block, adjacent to the water tanks.

"This room contained some portable electrical equipment. The fire did not start in the fabric of the main building."

CAPTION(S):

SCENE Altnagelvin Hospital
COPYRIGHT 2012 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2012 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Nov 30, 2012
Words:122
Previous Article:Getting down and dirty; Music; ALBUM THE WEEK.
Next Article:MPs call to axe 'unfair' flight tax; TRANSPORT.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters