Printer Friendly

Hopefully this bus won't stop; Scholars route back in service.

Byline: LAURA CAROE

A SCHOOL bus service that was scrapped is back on the timetable.

The 131 scholars' service, which ran from Brunswick Gardens, in Wideopen, North Tyneside, to St Cuthbert's High School, in Fenham, Newcastle, was cancelled after the number of passengers dwindled.

We told last week how the move left up to seven youngsters needing to catch two buses to reach their school each morning.

But now delighted parents are pleased after the service, which is run by Nexus, was restored with the help of the school and Louise Gilbert.

Mum-of-two Louise tackled the issue after she found the service had been withdrawn on her son Connor's first day at his new school.

Although the 40-yearold has been advised of alternative travel, Louise, of Seaton Place in Wideopen, said she worried about her 11-year-old son having to change buses and stand outside a pub.

The nurse said: "I'm over the moon it has been restored. When I first rang up I was told there was not a viable amount of people that would use the bus.

"Yet, I knew of at least seven parents who want the service to go from Wideopen. I have assured Nexus that the boys will continue to use the service as I know they need to keep the numbers up for it to be viable for them."

The bus service will be reinstated next Monday.

Ken Kemp, Nexus integrated services director, said if numbers began to dwindle again then the service would be reviewed.

He said: "We said that if we could find enough St Cuthbert's pupils in the Wideopen area wanting to use a school bus that we would restore the service.

"With the help of the school and Mrs Gilbert we have managed to do this, and scholars' service 131 will again run to and from Wideopen from September 28 on a 'use it or lose it' offer. When we took the decision to withdraw the bus it was because there was often only one passenger on board all the way to Kingston Park, where other pupils got on.

"If numbers again dwindle to one then the bus will not run, but parents now have the chance to demonstrate they want and will use this bus."

CAPTION(S):

JUST THE TICKET: Pupils Connor Gilbert, left, and Elliott Sewell
COPYRIGHT 2009 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)
Date:Sep 22, 2009
Words:387
Previous Article:Car ends up in ditch.
Next Article:Beat bobbies could be cut.


Related Articles
Tyneside all set for travel chaos.
You wait ages for new bus stops.. then no buses come along; Council's pounds 12k shelter waste.
Advertisement feature - Changes to bus routes.
New era in bus travel; TRANSPORT: Passengers set for a smoother ride.
Letter: View points - Passengers are not a priority.
Last-ditch bid to scrap red route; TRADE: Shopkeepers tell councillors of their problems as part of inquiry.
'Bring back bus' protest set to fail.
Free shuttle bus starts for city centre shoppers; Assembly funding service as part of sustainable transport initiative.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters