Home and garden calendar.
* Bonsai Exhibit, Aug. 16-18, at Regenstein Center, Chicago Botanic Garden, Glencoe. Features more than 100 world-class bonsai trees entered in a competition, with workshops and demonstrations. Children's workshops on Saturday and Sunday afternoons will allow kids to get a bonsai tree to take home. Hours are noon to 5 p.m. on Friday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Visit www.midwestbonsai.org/august-exhibition.
* Butterflies and Blooms, through Sept. 2, Chicago Botanic Garden, 1000 Lake-Cook Road, Glencoe. Exhibit on the Regenstein Learning Campus filled with hundreds of live butterflies native to South America, Asia, North America and Africa. Hours 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; last ticket sold at 4:30 p.m. Tickets are $6-$8; children 2 and younger free.
* Sundays in the Garden with Nature 2019, 1 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 25, at McHenry County College Demonstration Center, 8900 Route 14, Crystal Lake. Take a 20-minute Sunday stroll in the McHenry County College Demonstration Garden with University of Illinois Extension Master Gardener volunteers, who will give a brief presentation and offer tips. Topic for Aug. 25 is "Bugs -- Good and Bad." No registration required and sessions are free and family-friendly.
* Garden Tour: Staff Plant Picks, 1 p.m., Thursdays, Aug. 15, Sept. 19 and Oct. 17, at Cantigny Park, 1S151 Winfield Road, Wheaton. During the stroll, Cantigny horticulture staff members will choose a personal favorite plant of the month and share information about it -- a bit of science, growing advice and some fun facts, too. Tour departs from Visitors Center. Free with paid parking; register in advance. Call (630) 260-8162 or visit www.cantigny.org.
* John Richter opens his private garden in Warrenville to share the beauty of his grafted trees and variegated bushes, thousands of day lilies from 10 hybridizers, and more than 750 varieties of hostas. To schedule a tour, call (630) 393-3279.
* Bloomingdale Garden Club: 7 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 20. "Be An Herbal Gourmet," presented by Marcy Lautanen-Raleigh at Cornerstone Faith Community Church, 118 First St., Bloomingdale. She will demonstrate and prepare samples of techniques to extract flavor from herbs. Starts at 6:15 p.m. with refreshments and announcements. Visit www.bloomingdalegardenclub.org or email email@example.com.
* Lombard Garden Club: 1 p.m. Friday, Aug. 23. "Tips for the Lazy Gardener," presented by Cindy Tyley, at Lombard Commons Building, 433 E. St. Charles Road. Guests are welcome and can call (630) 620-8938 for reservations.
* Naperville Community Gardeners Club: 7 p.m., Monday, Aug. 5. "Techniques & Tips for Winning a Blue Ribbon at the Garden Show," presented by Paul Stoffels, at Knox Presbyterian Church of Naperville, 1105 Catalpa Lane. Club meeting, social time, then presentation at 8 p.m.
* Schaumburg Community Garden Club: 7 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 14. "For the Love of Lavender," presented by Maggie Smith of Nettle Creek Farm in Morris, at Spring Valley Nature Center, 1111 E. Schaumburg Road. Refreshments available prior to the business meeting. Visit www.schaumburggardenclub.org.
* Tri-Village Garden Club: 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 21. "Wildlife in Our Neighborhoods," presented by Jeff Rapp, senior naturalist for Crabtree Nature Preserve, at Poplar Creek Public Library, 1405 S. Park Ave., Streamwood. Call Wally Groble at (630) 497-1958 or Sandy Swenson at (630) 837-0281 or visit trivillagegardenclub.org.
* Winfield Area Gardeners: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 6. "Blooming Bulbs," presented by a DuPage Extension Master Gardener, at Christ Our Savior Lutheran Church, 501 Summit Drive, Winfield. Learn how bulbs can give your color in your garden from spring to late fall. Visit www.facebook.com/WinfieldAreaGardeners.
Flea markets, antique shows
* Grayslake Antique Market, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 10-11, at Lake County Fairgrounds, 1060 E. Peterson Road, Grayslake. Admission is $7; early buyers $25 for 8 a.m. admission on Saturdays. Free parking. Visit zurkopromotions.com. Only licensed service dogs allowed on fairgrounds.
* Wheaton All-Night Flea Market, 3 p.m. to 3 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 17, at DuPage County Fairgrounds, 2015 Manchester Road, Wheaton. $9 admission; children age 12 and younger free with adult. Free parking. www.zurkopromotions.com.
* To submit events for this calendar, email them to Kay Long at firstname.lastname@example.org and put "calendar listing" in the subject line.