ABU DHABI: UAE's rich culture and heritage will come alive at the annual Qasr Al Hosn Festival starting next month.
Guided fort tours and live performances in the Cultural Foundation Building are among a slew of events lined for this year's edition which will be held in Abu Dhabi from February 11 to February 22.
Abu Dhabi's traditional heritage epitomised by the iconic Qasr Al Hosn Fort and its surrounding areas, and the importance of modern heritage showcased in the Cultural Foundation Building will be the predominant themes of the festival.
Unveiling programme details, Shaikh Sultan bin Tahnoon Al Nahyan, Chairman of Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority (TCA Abu Dhabi), said: "The 2015 programme was created to offer visitors a holistic cultural experience, and narrate stories in a compelling, educational, yet engaging manner. The Festival area has been redesigned to include new elements and activities that seamlessly fuse the traditional with the modern. This year, we are looking forward to reopening the doors of the Cultural Foundation Building by activating larger areas within through a rich programme of experiential activities, workshops and performances designed to revive its memory and to introduce the conservation approach for such an important modern heritage building."
"With Qasr Al Hosn Festival, we are not just celebrating monuments; we are celebrating the people that have carried the story of a nation generation to generation. We are looking to illustrate the importance of conserving the Fort as a symbol of great significance in Emirati history, protecting our national identity and heritage through passing down our most valued traditions. We're looking to celebrating our recent history through a compelling narrative using modern-day tools to recreate historic experiences," he added.
The festival is being held under the patronage of His Highness General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces,
* The Qasr Al Hosn Exhibition: A portal to explore the development of Abu Dhabi as a city, as well as the lives of people in Abu Dhabi over time, and recent efforts to conserve the building.
* Fort Tours: Trail around and within the fort with key stops which provide insight into the history and the effort to conserve Qasr Al Hosn. A poetry recital accompanied by the Rababa and the Oud will also be held.
* The National Consultative Council Chamber experience: Visitors will have a chance to access the historic building and witness first-hand the place which played a pivotal role in UAE's formation.
Self-guided tour of Cultural Foundation Builiding
The 'Lest We Forget: Structures of Memory in the UAE Exhibition: Commissioned by Salama bint Hamdan Al Nahyan Foundation, the exhibition showcases the history of architectural and urban development in the UAE.
* Performances at the re-opened Amphitheatre, Emirati folk songs, live music and sand art
* Arts and crafts workshops
* The return of the popular 'Gahwa' where visitors can experience the shared coffee drinking traditions in a beautiful contemporary setting.
Copyright 2014 Al Nisr Media FZ LLC. All rights reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).