Help for AFES wiring harness hiccup!
THANK GOD I GOT OUT IN TIME!
I WONDER WHAT SET OFF THE AFES?
IS THE INTEGRATED RADIO RACK INSTALLED IN YOUR M115I, M1152, M1165, OR M11S7 SERIES HMMWV?
IF SO, YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED A PROBLEM WITH THE AUTOMATIC FIRE EXTINGUISHING SYSTEM (AFES) MASTER CONTROLLER'S WIRING HARNESS.
THAT UNSECURED HARNESS GETS TANGLED WITH THE HMMWVS TRANSMISSION, TRANSFER AND PARKING BRAKE CONTROL LEVERS.
THAT PUTS TOO MUCH STRESS ON THE WIRING HARNESS AND CAN ACCIDENTALLY DISCHARGE THE AFES DURING VEHICLE OPERATION.
TM Update Needed
Some of you have seen the wiring harness problem and have even tried to fix it. Problem is, TM 9-2320-387-24-2 (Dec 97) only tells you how to route and secure an AFES wiring harness installed with the standard radio rack. There arE no specific installation instructions for routing or securing the AFES wiring harness with the integrated radio rack.
The BFT/integrated radio rack installation TBs, 1171)10-438-23 and 9-2320-387-35-1, don't help you with this, either. So the way you see the AFES routed in HMMWVs with the integrated radio rack installed could vary.
Integrated Rack in an M1151 HMMWV
Fixing the Problem
Here's the recommended field-level repair. It allows you to secure the wiring harness out of the way of vehicle controls. Just follow this procedure:
1. Disconnect your HMMWVs batteries.
2. Disconnect the wiring harness from the AFES master controller.
3. Move all wiring out from behind the AFES master control mounting bracket.
4. Drill a 5/16-in hole. The hole should be drilled 1/2 inch down from the top of the bracket and centered.
5. Reconnect the wiring harness to the AFES master controller.
6. Form a loop with the excess wiring harness length and secure it with a zip-tie. Place the loop and zip-tie behind the integrated radio rack.
7. Position the wiring harness and secure it to the drilled hole with a zip-tie. The ziptie should be fed through the back of the bracket and the wiring harness should be positioned toward the top of the bracket.
8. Make sure you can use all vehicle controls without touching the harness.
9. Reconnect your HMMWVs batteries.
Drill hole 72 inch down and centered. Zip-tie should be installed from rear of bracket and under wiring harness