Hariri aide files lawsuit against MTV CEO.
Summary: Prime Minister Saad Hariri's adviser on Syrian refugees announced Thursday that he is filing a lawsuit against MTV Lebanon.
BEIRUT: Prime Minister Saad Hariri's adviser on Syrian refugees announced Thursday that he is filing a lawsuit against MTV Lebanon. The following is a statement from Hariri's media office: Nadim Munla is suing MTV, or Murr TV, and its CEO Michel Gabriel Murr, for a report aired on its nightly news bulletin accusing Munla of embezzling international funds meant for Syrian refugees and its host communities in Lebanon.
Addressing Murr specifically, Munla released the following statement: Your television station in its nightly news bulletin on Oct. 11, 2017, talked about me personally and about my officially appointed role as adviser to Prime Minister Saad Hariri for refugee affairs. It was a report that had fabricated, incorrect and false information you used to allow a former minister [Wi'am Wahhab] who has devoted himself to abuse everything related to the prime minister. And you recruited him on your station to promote nothing other than slander, harm to my integrity and to [doubt] the responsibility of my [job].
The author, reporter and publisher of the report have deliberately accused me of using and exploiting donated funds from donor countries meant for Syrian refugees, and this a charge that is more than just fabricated, flawed, immoral and inappropriate for a tenth-tier media establishment ... an institution, which has a special place in the media sector.
In light of this, it's important for your institution to know the following:
1. I, neither directly nor indirectly, have anything to do with any money related to the Syrian refugees and no one in Hariri's office has anything to do with this matter. As I also have nothing to do with any contracts or agreements with any merchants, supermarkets or suppliers, which is the exclusive role of the United Nations. These words, rumors and lies fall within the scope of defamation and harm to the reputation and dignity of the people targeted by the report.
2. The report is a result of the imagination of those who decided to broadcast it for purely personal reasons to defame and misrepresent [me] and I know that CEO Michel Gabriel Murr knows these personal reasons very well, and I will not go into more detail for now because of my respect for the Lebanese public opinion.
3. I do not hold any of the staff members, directors, editors or producers in the newsroom of the station responsible for the content of this report, and they are all colleagues we respect. I am certain that they are professional and this report contradicts their ethical and professional principles, and the main responsibility lies with the CEO.
As a result of this:
1. I, Nadim Munla, the person of the accusations raised by the MTV report, call for the report to be raised to the Public Prosecutor's Office, and I place myself at the disposal of the judiciary to investigate all those involved in the preparation of the report, first CEO Michel Gabriel Murr.
2. I have begun filing a lawsuit of allegations, defamation and smear against MTV CEO and any other person who is shown to have played a part in this matter.
Copyright [c] 2017, The Daily Star. All rights reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||The Daily Star (Beirut, Lebanon)|
|Date:||Oct 13, 2017|
|Previous Article:||Court shown shocking images in case of soldier's execution.|
|Next Article:||Empower civil society to rebuild Syria.|